AC Issue

Jburks

Last weekend we setup and turned on the ac and it kept blowing breakers outside at the post, changed to the 50 amp and then it blew the inside breaker, I started investigating and found the ac fan was turned to low, changed it to high and it stop blowing breakers. My question is: Is it possible the a combination of extreme heat outside and the low fan speed would build excessive heat to cause the breaker to blow or do I have a more serious problem? Any and all ideas would be appreciated.

RollingHome

Jack & Debbie, I would try a different pedestal or CG to quickly satisfy your question. In reality, I am a technical type, I would put a amp tester on your circuit and find out what's going on! But, in your current situation, try plan A. Get back to us on the forum and we'll guide you further. There are some pretty savy electrical geeks on here and they/we will help you. Tom

Jburks

My first thought was my breaker had gone weak and need to be replaced, but we are back home this weekend, I have the Sundance plugged into the outlet here and there seems to be no problem running the ac fan on low or high either one, I guess it must have been the pedestal at the CG. I have not put a tester on the system yet, not all that comfortable with electricity, I usually know just enough to have a shocking experience. We have had the unit 3 years and that was the first time we ever ran across that problem.
Thanks for your reply.

Jack

Jack,
The campground may have had a low voltage problem going on. Probably had a full house, with lots of A/C's running. As the voltage goes down the current draw increases to satisfy the load (Ohms Law). There are a lot of campgrounds with overloaded and poorly maintained electric systems out there, and with the increase of 50A rigs these days, it's not a wonder.

I'd keep an eye on it. You can also buy inexpensive ($10) volt meters that plug into an unused outlet to (safely) monitor the voltage to your rig.

jnbhobe

Did you think it could have froze up running on low speed and the compressor couldn't start till it thawed out. I always run the AC on high.

Jburks

Rick, it was kind of weird that while hooked to the 30 amp side it blow the outside breaker and when switched to the 50 amp side it would blow the inside breaker, I was sure there was problem with my Sundance but not I'm not sure. I did go to Lowe's today and get a plug circuit tester and everything checks fine here. I have a friend that is pretty good with electrical and will have him check a little deeper. You are right about it being a full house at the CG, there were quite a few units there and it was real hot.

Rickhansen

Rick, it was kind of weird that while hooked to the 30 amp side it blow the outside breaker and when switched to the 50 amp side it would blow the inside breaker, I was sure there was problem with my Sundance but not I'm not sure. I did go to Lowe's today and get a plug circuit tester and everything checks fine here. I have a friend that is pretty good with electrical and will have him check a little deeper. You are right about it being a full house at the CG, there were quite a few units there and it was real hot.

Jack and Debbie, Is this a plug-in circuit tester or a voltmeter? The 3 light testers generally only check the wiring for open neutral open ground, etc. I've not seen one that checks voltage.

Jburks

Just a plug in tester, I have a friend coming over this weekend to check everything, hoping for the best...prepared for the worst.

RollingHome

Jack & Debbie, don't prepare for the worse. It sounds like the problem was the CG supplied electric (low volts or greyout). I think you had a low voltage condition. Get your electrical friend to educate how to check for this condition. Just don't become part of the circuit because it's a shocking experience ! You also do not want to be a HVT (Human Voltage Tester).

I know, I'm a sicko... sorry

jnbhobe

Jack; I hope that your problem was just the condenser freezing from the fan on low speed. Let me know how you make out. Jon

Jburks

My friend came over today and our Sundance got a clean bill of health (whew), must have been the pedestal in th cg where we were staying. Sure was happy with the outcome.