New locks and a great place to get them!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I found a place that sells cylinder locks to replace the 751 locks that came with your rig. These are very well made and the cam is held on with nylock nuts and not screws. The new locks come with tube keys and also a master reset key. I change all my locks and on the bigger doors installed two. I ordered 10 locks and all were keyed the same, four keys and a reset key, shipping (two days) and all came to under $100. These guys are great and really are great to work with. They are Industrial Lock and Key and you can see what they have at the address below! Made in the USA!

www.mccsmiramar.com

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Your's may have cost less, but comparing the info on both websites, they are not exactly the same, both in design and the hardware that comes with them. You pay your money and you take your choice, I guess.

RollingHome

Very good thread you started Ramaco ! Guys, are you saying you changed ALL the locks ? In other words, door locks, storage compartment locks and power cord door lock ? Every RV I have owned has had really poor locks ! I graphited the Horns locks twice already... nothing changed. If I install new locks will the aggrivation stop ? If I put the key in and rotate it 90 degrees will the door lock or unlock. I'll spend the money if it changes the current nonsense to no nonsense. Please let me know so I can begin or forget. In advance, Thanks, Tom

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Not to sure what better would be, but these are the same lock that our lock and key shops here are selling for $29.00. Manufactured in the US and once you see them you will see just how well made they are.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Most all of the doors had to turns and one lock. You can open one end and bend the door the rest of the way. I just put locks on both ends which secures it better and a twist in the middle where the lock used to be. These locks actually work very well, turn only to lock and open and do not twist the barrel. Put the barrel key in, turn it 45 degrees and its either open or closed. Yes I changed every lock! 5 bay doors used to have 5 locks now they have 10! Hope I never loose the key, they really are hard to get into without it!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
JonDar, the problem with the locks that are described in the site you purchased yours from is the cam is held on by a screw and a lock washer. This has been one of the concerns about these locks for years and the solution by the industry was to use nyloc nuts. The governor location behind the cam is such that when these screws started to back off, and they will, the cam will turn in a circle both directions. You do not want to overtighten them or another problem of governor binding occurs and the lock becomes hard to turn. I for one think the nyloc is perfect, it will not back off or jam the governor.

Ricoh

Past Ontario Chapter Leader
Rumaco what size did you order for your Bighorn and are they all the same?

Rick

JohnDar

JonDar, the problem with the locks that are described in the site you purchased yours from is the cam is held on by a screw and a lock washer. This has been one of the concerns about these locks for years and the solution by the industry was to use nyloc nuts. The governor location behind the cam is such that when these screws started to back off, and they will, the cam will turn in a circle both directions. You do not want to overtighten them or another problem of governor binding occurs and the lock becomes hard to turn. I for one think the nyloc is perfect, it will not back off or jam the governor.

Not so, Chief. The cams are held on by a lock washer and nut. These are LSDA High Security locks, Made in USA, not some Chinese bargain basement junk. I ordered four locks, keyed alike, and each came with two keys. So I have spares strategically placed in the rig, my truck, my key ring, and at home, so losing one is not an issue. I could replace the nut with a Ny-loc type, or just put some Loctite on them. Might try that first, just for added PoM (Peace of Mind).

To answer the question about length, the 1 1/8" size is what you will need, regardless of which brand you choose. The 7/8" ones are too short.

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
Just went to the site you listed and that was what was offered. You seem to keep trying to say the ones we bought are from China, they were made in Lexington Ky. Not to sure why you want to argue but I am done!

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
RICOH I ordered 1 1/8th inch lock, 1 3/8th inch cam with a 3/16th inch bend and yes all BIGHORNS are the same!

JohnDar

Just went to the site you listed and that was what was offered. You seem to keep trying to say the ones we bought are from China, they were made in Lexington Ky. Not to sure why you want to argue but I am done!

No argument here. But the picture you're referring to was only to illustrate determining the length. Selecting the actual cam lock from the list gives you the info on it. http://www.mrlock.com/24084.html

I didn't call your locks Chinese, but did not want anyone to get the impression mine were either.

It's all good.

JohnDar

Yes. The ones I used also have two cam stops that allow you to set it up for either 90 or 180 degree rotation. They come with two cams, as well. One straight, the other off set. Easy to see at a glance if it is locked or not.

traveler44

Mr. Rumaco, That sounds like a good idea. Could you post the order number of the ones you have? Do you get these at a military discount? What kind of finish did you get on yours? I was going to P.M. you but I decided that others might want this info too. Thanks Tom M.