2010 28 NT RLS question

bar20

We took our new 2010 28RLS for it's maiden trip. Two things happened. While driving the door that slides across the bedroom entrance kept coming loose. The door is held in place by one vinyl strap. The strap would not hold the door in place on windy roads. Does the factory have a fix for this problem? I thought about adding a couple of extra straps.

The other problem was the water heater would never get beyond luke warm. The manual is useless because what it shows isn't what my trailer has. In the bathroom there is a wall switch that reads "water heater" then above that is the monitor which has a switch that reads "heater" We tried different combinations of getting the water heater to get hot with no success. Is the wall mounted switch for electric operation and the switch on the monitor for propane?

Steve

jimtoo

Hi Steve,

Kinda sounds like you may have either the bypass valves not set correctly, or if you have an outside shower it may be that the valves are open, but the shower head valve is off. This will allow the water to bypass some what. Also look at the back of the heater outside and see if the little black switch is turned on, it may have a safety pin through it. You may leave this switch on and control it from inside with the heater switch.

And yes about the switches on the wall and monitor panel.

Jim M

irvin56

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/10271-Sliding-Doors?p=90588&viewfull=1#post90588

Here's what most owners have done to prevent doors from moving

bar20

Thanks about the door but what does the factory recommend. When we first looked at our trailer at the dealer, the factory had a piece of wood wedged in for it's trip from Indiana to California. They obviously know about the problem. Adding two more straps which wouldn't cost them more than $2.00 would probably fix the problem. As it stands now after the first time it didn't hold which was the first day on the road, it broke one of the nylon brackets on top of the door. My dealer is 60 miles away, 120 miles round trip. at 10 mpg @ $3.15 gal, its going to cost me $40.00 plus I am going to have to leave the trailer and come back and pick it up a few days later that's another $30.00 out of my pocket. The factory knows there is a problem, why haven't they had the dealers fix it before they release it to the buyer, or have they?

jimtoo

Did the bracket actually break or just come unlatched from the hanger on the door??? I have seen several that the latch was never locked on them at dealer lots. The hangers will come loose before they break I think. Mine did that at first, but was cured by moving the snap on the face of the panel to the side of the panel. Has never come loose again.

bar20

Jim, the snap didn't hold. Unlike a motorhome where if something happens while traveling, you can see or hear it and fix it right away, in a trailer you don't know it happens until you stop. Based on what I have been reading on this board, any model Heartland trailer that has this type of sliding door and is secured with just this one strap is subject to the strap coming off the snap. The weight of the door is just too heavy for this one snap to hold it. There appears to be several fixes all to be done by the owner. I already have a broken part on the door that needs to be replaced. I think adding two more straps either a foot apart from the one installed at the factory or at the top and bottom of the door should fix the problem and like I said would only cost the factory a couple of dollars and 15 minutes of installation time if done by the dealer and five minutes at the factory.

Steve