Rib Rub???

boatdoc

Hi Folks, We need a good baby back rib rub to go into the water smoker. Let's hear your favorite!! Thanks

RollingHome

Great Post Gary ! I have read in my "cooker" that their brand rub "ORION" should be used and I thought 'What the heck is their brand' I will sit by the side lines here and learn... By the way our local chain GIANT just put Pork ribs on sale for $ 1.59/pound... ya can't get much cheaper then that huh ? Hopefully someone will turn you/me what the secret rub formula is. One more thing, the ORION is a waterless cooker ( and it smokes too, in fact smokes really well). Tom

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When we passed through Vegas for a week on the way back East this spring, I ran into this gentleman. Maurers Foods. He was our neighbor at Sams Town RV Park. Needless to say, I spent $20 to sample a few goodies. My favorite sauce is Chickpigcow sauce. I've also used Essence of the Northwest Rob on a pork loin. Crap, now I need to go get a paper towel, I just drooled on my keyboard.

Rrloren

Here's the one I've been making for over 20 yrs.

1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup seasoned salt
2 tbs. garlic salt
1 tbs. onion salt
1 1/2 tsp.celery salt
1/4 cup sweet hungarian paprika
1 tbs. chili powder
1 tbs. fresh ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp. dried sage
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. cayenne powder
pinch ground cloves

I usually double or triple recipe so it will last awhile.
I use it on chicken too.

RollingHome

Rrloren, I COPIED AND PASTED YOUR RUB INTO MY FOOD FILE... However I question one ingrediant "1/4 cup sweet hungarian paprika" that sounds like a tough thing to find... I'll use plain ole paprinka. Is there such a thing as sweet hungarian paprika and is it different then plain ole paprika. I'm just learing to cook so please excuse my ignorance... In advance, thanks Tom.

Rrloren

I've used other paprika but we're able to get Hungarian in a large can at Sam's club.
Hope you like the rub.
I also use a sauce that I call Voodoo sauce that I picked up on the food channel many yrs. ago but have modified pretty extensively. All our family and friends really like it . If interested let me know and I'll provide it. It gets it's name cause they originally used Voodoo beer in it . I use whatever I got. Quite a few ingrediants in this one also.

boatdoc

I've used other paprika but we're able to get Hungarian in a large can at Sam's club.
Hope you like the rub.
I also use a sauce that I call Voodoo sauce that I picked up on the food channel many yrs. ago but have modified pretty extensively. All our family and friends really like it . If interested let me know and I'll provide it. It gets it's name cause they originally used Voodoo beer in it . I use whatever I got. Quite a few ingrediants in this one also.

Sauce, we all like sauce!!!!! Go ahead and post it if you like, we don't mind if you don't.

Rrloren

Here you go.
VOODOO SAUCE

2 tbs. onion powder
1 tbs. garlic powder
64oz. ketchup
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup apple cider vinegar [could use all apple cider vinegar]
1 cup mustard [ I use Dijon but yellow is ok]
3/4 cup brown sugar [ light or dark ok]
Liquid smoke [to taste]
2 oz. worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 beer
1/4 cup Jack Daniels

I used to just wisk this up and it is fine but over the last couple yrs. I bring the mixture up to a simmer then when cooled I add the beer and JD.
I bottle half with no hot spice and half I spiceup ,to taste, with whatever hot stuff I have around.

RollingHome

Richard, thanks to Ron's hot link to wikipedia... To save the pain, I really am convinced to use plain Jane paprika. It sounds like the Hungarian stuff can do really bad things to my body :). Thanks Ron for saving my butt, literally. Richard, thanks for the second recipe too. However, what's the difference between rub and barbie sauce ? The voodoo mix sounds very close to the barbie Patti and I (mostly her) just whipped up ? I think I/we will try your voodoo sauce. I will eliminate the liquid smoke though... That stuff just does not agree with my pipes and I "smoke" till midnight and have to Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz, oh what a relief it is... Alca Seltzer to the rescue ! Showing my age here huh ? Tom

Rrloren

Richard, thanks to Ron's hot link to wikipedia... To save the pain, I really am convinced to use plain Jane paprika. It sounds like the Hungarian stuff can do really bad things to my body :). Thanks Ron for saving my butt, literally. Richard, thanks for the second recipe too. However, what's the difference between rub and barbie sauce ? The voodoo mix sounds very close to the barbie Patti and I (mostly her) just whipped up ? I think I/we will try your voodoo sauce. I will eliminate the liquid smoke though... That stuff just does not agree with my pipes and I "smoke" till midnight and have to Plop, Plop, Fizz, Fizz, oh what a relief it is... Alca Seltzer to the rescue ! Showing my age here huh ? Tom

LOL
In short , the rub is dry and put on before the meat is cooked. Th B sauce is wet and put on near the end of cooking at a low heat so as not to burn it. I don't use the sauce on everything I put the rub on. Also, I use the sauce on some things that I didn't use the rub on.
Just according to taste.
FYI, when I do ribs I use the rub then wrap them in 2 layers of foil , crimp one end and pour in a beer then crimp other end then put on the grill for 2 hours at 250 degrees. When done I pour the liquid into a sauce pan and place the ribs on grill, at same or lower temp. Then reduce the liquid by half and add Voodoo sauce and brush ribs every few mins. for 1/2 hr or so , then enjoy.
You will fine them pulling off the bone and quite tasty.