Help me undrstand my fridge!

Mikew5j

First off I believe my fridge is probably working properly, it's just doing some things I don't understand. My 2011 29RE fifth wheel has a 2 way (LP or electric AC) Dometic fridge. My trailer is at home with the LP turned off and the trailer plugged in for AC power. I turned on the fridge and set it to auto thinking it would just run on AC, but I hear the LP trying to light and the check light comes on. The fridge appears to be cooling but I'm just wondering if it is normal for the LP to try and light when the fridge is getting AC power. I couldn't find any info on this in the owners manual.

Thanks,
Mike

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the buttons on the fridge. The On/Off button should be pushed in and the AC light illuminated. The button between AUTO and GAS should not be pressed in, and the AUTO light illuminated. If the AC should fail, the fridge will automatically switch to propane. Mine did that during a power failure last summer. It went back to AC on it's own when the power returned. Pressing the button in tells it to use GAS exclusively and disregard AC. If the switch is set AUTO, it should not attempt to light the propane burner so long as there is AC. That sounds like a circuit board problem.

jnbhobe

Make sure its plugged in and that the plug is live. Also check the ground fault in the bathroom its on that circuit I think. The plug is inside the out side vent cover. Remember the fridge is controled by 12 volt

Mikew5j

My fridge does not have an AC light. I have the On/Off button pushed in, and the Gas/Auto button pushed in with the Auto light on. The Check light is also on. I don't have the LP on because I'm at home and just prepping the trailer for a trip. I'm just wondering if on auto the fridge is programed to get the gas going first and then switch to AC if it is available, and having the LP tanks turned off is causing the check light is coming on? I just checked on the fridge again, and it looks like it is working on AC. I just want to know why the check light is coming on.

JohnDar

What model number fridge do you have? The illustration I gave is for the Dometic DM2862. Looking at the illustration in my manual, there is a model that does not have the AC on light. However, I do believe for any of them, the AUTO button should not be pressed in. Doing so commands the unit to run on gas only. If you have it pushed in and the CHECK light is lit, that says there is no propane (you said it was turned off). Try releasing the AUTO switch to see if it turns off the CHECK light and stops trying to light the burner.

Mikew5j

I have the DM2652. I tried without pushing the auto button in. The auto light went out and the fridge still tried to light the LP.

Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

Mikew5j

Thanks for the link. That manual was better than the one I have.

Well I was wrong. My fridge wasn't working on AC at all. I opened the outside panel and the fridge wasn't plugged in!!! I plugged it in and it still isn't working! The outlet doen't appear to be getting any power. I checked all my breakers and they look OK, but I don't see anything labeled for the fridge. It's getting late. I'm going to fight with it more tomorrow.

jimtoo

Check your GFI plug,,, probably near the bath sink.reset it..Some of the fridges are on the same circuit.

Mikew5j

Before I left for work this morning I checked the GFI and it was tripped. I reset it and turned on the fridge with auto selected. This time I didn't hear the LP trying to light. Hopefully, when I get home tonight I'll find ice cubes in the freezer. This is my first RV and I have to say they are full of surprises!

Thanks for the help.

Jnphobe
Somehow I didn't see your post last night, but you were right on the money. Thanks.

JohnDar

Having been on this forum for over 18 months, I'm beginning to think that no two rigs work alike. And my manual shows the DM2652 as the one without the AC light. I don't understand how the fridge could be cooling if the AC was off and so was the propane.

Mikew5j

I was fooled into thinking that the AC was working. I started with the PL on. After I shut the LP off the fridge held in the cold so well I assumed the AC had been working. At least I know the fridge is well insulated. Like I said before this is my first RV, so please forgive my ignorance. Everyone was quick to help me out and I appreciate it very much.

JohnDar

I was fooled into thinking that the AC was working. I started with the PL on. After I shut the LP off the fridge held in the cold so well I assumed the AC had been working. At least I know the fridge is well insulated. Like I said before this is my first RV, so please forgive my ignorance. Everyone was quick to help me out and I appreciate it very much.

OOOHHH! This is making my head hurt. Quick, Doc, hook up the bourbon IV:D

Glad you got the problem solved! Now GET CAMPING!!