Maiden trip in our 28RLS

bar20

Other then the 80 mile trip from the dealer to the RV storage lot this was out first trip. This is our first trailer and I didn't know what to expect in hooking up and the actual traveling down the road. It took us about 15 minutes to connect the trailer to the truck and we made sure the lights were working and all the doors were secured. We were going from the San Francisco Bay Area to Central Oregon a distance of about 600 miles.

My wife and I decided to do it in two days. We went up U.S. Hwy 101 and stayed overnight in Eureka, CA and stayed at the Eureka KOA. I asked for a drive through site and was given one on the end. It was very easy to get in and out of the site. The KOA is just north of Eureka directly off of the highway. When we arrived we discovered that the bedroom sliding door had come loose and a piece where it connected had broken off. This happened four times on our trip and I addressed this on another thread.

Our model is a 2010 and thus came with the half time convection/microwave oven. It was my wife's first time using a convection oven. She fell in love with it. Everything she tried cooked in half the time a normal oven would take and it came out perfect. I could not find one loose screw and found the fit and finnish to be outstanding. When we purchased the trailer we test drove the mattress and decided it needed to be replaced as the quality was not what we expected. We got the dealer to give us a $400.00 credit and we purchased one from Camping World and used the original as the box spring.

We drove the second leg to Lincoln City, OR and spent four nights at the KOA there. We again asked for a drive through site and were given a site with a tree obstruction. After almost taking the awning off we got it in the site. Hint, when guiding someone in a tight spot, make sure that your awning will clear because it sticks out the furthest. We did have a couple of problems. The water heater would only get luke warm, we couldn't get the heater to come on, but found the batteries were dead and once replaced, it worked fine. The TV/DVD player that came with the trailer was missing the power cord. We called our dealer and they were getting in touch with Heartland to get us one. We brought our extra one from home so we had TV.

The trailer handled very well with our tow vehicle. Hwy 101 has some very winding areas and several 7% grades and it went up and down them without a hitch, pardon the pun. If anyone has any questions or is considering this model let me know what information you would like.