7440 led bulbs?

gpshemi

All my Cyclone's external running lights are LED EXCEPT...the side markers. After one went out on my new Cyclone, I have a notion to throw in a white LED bulb. I have a switch inside that I have hooked to the running lights that allows me to run them while on shore power. LED's would have less draw and heat too. I suppose I could replace them with LED side markers, but this seems cheaper and no re-wiring involve. Pop the cap, replace the bulb, done. Anyone do this before?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure you can just pop in an LED bulb for your side markers. I replaced the entire fixture. About eight bucks each. They are polarity dependent so if you do any changing they will not work if the polarity is wrong.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

RollingHome

Try superbrightled.com and Daves right, led's are polarity sensitive. You'll figure it out. Many have converted to led type bulbs. Not too difficult, not too easy. In most cases you do not need to change the entire housing, just the bulb or lamp. One at a time, have fun :)

gpshemi

Then why would they sell 7440 LED bulbs? Like all LED bulbs the control board build into the base? No? Hmmmm...

Well I suppose it doesn't really matter. I found the side markers in LED for about the price of the bulbs. So maybe that would be easier.

If the polarity isn't right, can't you just flip the wires before screwing it back on and caulking?

Thanks.

RollingHome

Yep, flipping the wires before caulking should work fine. Really, it's just 2 wires so get the critter lit then install it, you'll do fine, have fun :)

HRAI

I tried just changing the regular bulb to an LED. It doesn't appear different. If you are looking for the bright look of an LED, get the whole fixture. Just changing the bulb to an LED will give you a longer lasting bulb, but for the price, I would go with the whole fixture.

Guy

jnbhobe

I changed em all and added a few. Its the only good way to do it same screw holes everything matches and they are bright