Bighorn as a fulltimers coach??

Full Timing in the BigHorn

We are going through a real mess right now with an Open Road 5th Wheel and hoping that the courts will settle this in our favor. Once that happens, we're going to be shopping again. My wife has taken a real liking to the BigHorn, and it seems to me like a pretty good rig. My big question, though, is concerning its suitability as a full-time coach.

I haven't found much of anything on that, so far, in the available documentation. Do any of you have any first-hand knowledge/experience about this?

Thanks ... Richard Demers/Front Royal, VA

HappyKayakers

My wife and I have been fulltiming in a 3600RL since April. Spent the summer in Florida and 1 AC unit kept the unit cool on an unshaded spot. Now we're spending the winter in Amarillo Tx. I'm adding insulation in some places to make sure we don't freeze. After the initial problem list was corrected, we really enjoy it as a fulltime rig. As of now, we just have some minor problems. PM or email if you have any other questions.

seabee

My wife and I are living fulltime in our 3670RL and the trailer is great with the exceptions of a few things that just having a competent repair shop to work on it wouldn't hurt ,it works well for a fulltime rig lots of room but reading in the Big Horn book it said that they are not made to live in fulltime but the dealer never said anything about that and he knew we were fulltimers.
So what is up with that,I for one would never bought it if that was the case.
There seams to be no problem with warranty work being done,but it will make you ask why not?
Bud

jbeletti

Bud,

With few exceptions, I think you'll find that most RV manufacturers have that disclaimer in their books. Not in their sales literature and nothing most dealers will offer up to you.

You should not find any trouble with Heartland in getting your unit worked on within the warranty period, regardless of the fact that you full-time in it.

It has been said that the appliances used in RVs are built for RV duty - ie recreationally, not full-time use. I have believed this in the past. Others have come out and stated that in their decades or full-timing, they've found otherwise - that their appliances last the life of their RV.

This is only my opinion and bear in mind I am not Heartland and am not employed by them. My take is that by excluding full-time use, a manufacturer, at their election, could stop replacing items that you may wear out during the warranty period. Here again, doubt that you'll have any issues like this with Heartland as they have proved time and again that they'll step up and take care of the customer.

I'd say you can relax - that you still made a great decision with Heartland.

Be happy and safe traveling.

Jim

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hello,
While we are not fulltimers and can tell you that our Bighorn does very well. We camp every single weekend from late March into late October. That means that we pack-up and un-pack every single weekend. The slides go out and the slides come in. Four of us in and out doing the camping thing. With all of this our Bighorn has been very good to us. Very minimal upkeep as far as maintenance issues. We are very happy with our unit and could very well see people fulltiming in one.

Hope that helps and good luck with whatever direction you go,

Mark

Pulltab

We fulltime in ours and after the original issues were taken care of it is flawless. :) It's a great unit and the price is a big plus!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have to agree with everything everyone else has said. We've been full time for a year now and have no regrets with our 3400RL. We've had a few minor issues that have been resolved and I think any RV would have similar problems. I would buy again, probobly the same model too.

timk

Richard,
Jim said it best (he usually does), but you can fulltime in a 12 ft 1967 Shasta travel trailer or a cardboard box.

We usually try to spend a couple of months each summer in ours, but then we have to park it for a while, so the fulltime self destruct meter resets itself. If that sounds a little silly, it is.

Warranty issues aside, its simply a choice you have to make. What you can live with and without. Personally, I wish we had dual glass, and some better ceiling insulation, a second ac, a quieter furnace, and a normal thermostat, and perhaps a bigger refer, then of course a Freightliner to pull it all. :)

All that said, we are pretty happy with ours.

Good luck with your decision.

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
I posted this same question on the Heartland main website a few months back and got a very nice call about a week later from someone in customer service at Heartland (wish I could remember his name).. but what he told me was in essence what Jim has said and much as I suspected... if you you modify something 'cause you are full-timing then they might have a problem with fixing it.. if you abuse it (like running your AC at max 24/7, 365 at 50 degrees and it breaks, then they might have a problem.. but basically they aren't gonna ask if you are full timing if you need "normal" warrenty work.. I felt very comfortable with his answers and his answers (and the fact that he took time to call me - a non-owner at this point) more cements my decision to buy a Heartland product when we retire in a cpl of years (and go full-time).

As an aside... our current 5er has been parked at a CG since last October.. the Coleman AC has been set to on (and running except on the coldest days), the Dometic fridge has been on 24/7 since that time as we keep food and drinks in it for our bi-weekly stays and so far (knock on wood) we have had zero problems with either... so while we not may be full-timing, our little Cedar Creek Silverback has been... what's my point?.. well the appliances are pretty much the same in all units, full-time or not, and my usage so far hasn't broken anything... granted, it is not bumping along America's wonderful highway system, but I will have no qualms about full-timing in just about any well made unit.. Right now that unit is going to be something made by Heartland... we like the Bighorn 3670 but now that the Landmark Augusta is out, that looks like that is what will be behind our TV.. can't wait to see the rest of the specs on it...

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
GypsyBill,
I was fortunate enough to see the prototype Augusta at the Rally this past year. I recently spied a production maodel at a local dealer and had to show my wife what she missed at the Rally. I saw some minor differences from the prototype to the production but all-in-all a very nice unit. It has the cherry interior which is absolutely beautiful. Heartland has definitely put together a great coach and fantastic floorplan.

Good luck to you,

Mark

GypsyBill

and Jennifer
mrcomer said:
GypsyBill,
I was fortunate enough to see the prototype Augusta at the Rally this past year. I recently spied a production maodel at a local dealer and had to show my wife what she missed at the Rally. I saw some minor differences from the prototype to the production but all-in-all a very nice unit. It has the cherry interior which is absolutely beautiful. Heartland has definitely put together a great coach and fantastic floorplan.

Good luck to you,

Mark

Mark,

We are finally seeing good pictures of the Augusta (along with specs on the Heartland website) and have basically zeroed in on this as our next unit... Have talked with Don at Heartland and he sent me some info on the unit and found me a dealer in Alabama who has one in stock.... although we are still a couple of years out, we are going up to Montgomery to look at the Augusta in person... I would like to buy a year before we go fulltime, but that will depend on a lot of things falling into place early...

As an aside, I will say I am very pleased with Heartland's responses to me (yeah I know it is good marketing), but it does give out good vibes...

sharmulst

Fulltiming

Well we have done it. We are now fulltimers and residents of SD. It took us about 2 hours to become residents, license plates, drivers license, etc. Our house closed on the 31st of October and the only things we couldn't part with are in a very small storage facility. For this winter we have no definite place to alite just going to visit various friends, family members and see some new country. We leave Kansas on the 7th of Nov headed for southern OK for 2 weeks. For this winter it will just be wherever the spirit leads us. See you on the road.

jpmorgan37

Welcome to the world of Fulltiming. You will revel in the feeling of not being tied down to anything. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

John