Almost went up in flames....

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Almost went up in flames....Pics Added

I write this to let everyone know...if something is "acting up", and you can't figure it out...KEEP ON IT UNTIL YOU FIND THE PROBLEM!!

Several weeks ago we started getting a check engine light in our truck, and didn't realize at first, we were also getting strange codes from our Prodigy Brake Controller. It kept flashing NC for not connected, and once in a while would flash SH for short and OL for overload. We did not immediately connect the two, until we read the codes on the truck and realized, whatever was going on was being caused by a low voltage situation.

When we started to investigate we first focused on the truck check engine light...but the codes were indicating an electrical issue, because based on the codes it was throwing, if it was mechanical...the truck would not have been starting or at least running real bad..BUT, it was running perfectly!! We then connected the two and started to suspect the trailer braking system but could not locate the problem...we soldered every connect on the truck and trailer, changed out the pig tail, etc. but nothing got rid of the brake controller codes...until yesterday!

On the way to Pulltab's place in ohio, we stopped in a rest area, where Ken decided to put the pigtail back in the plug in the back of the truck...we had tried using the one on the outside next the the TT hitch. Thought if it worked there, maybe our issue was in the small harness from the main line to the plug in the truck bed, but that wasn't it, nothing changed. After he moved it back, the controller went to SH (short) and wouldn't come off...still stumped, he pulled the plunger out of the breakaway switch on the pin box...and all **** broke loose!!

The breakaway plug immediately started to smoke and melt, and at the same time I noticed smoke coming from the front tire on the driver's side of the trailer...of course I screamed, thinking our house was gonna go up in flames!! Thankfully, Ken is quick and smart when it comes to electrical issues...he got under the trailer and quickly stopped the connection...all that was left was bare wire that was basically coming out of the backing plate on the hub was sparking against the metal hub! Smoke stopped and I could breath again!!:eek:

We're not sure exactly what happened. Ken surmises that the grommet that protects the wire as it goes thru the backing plate either fell out or shifted, causing the wire to constantly rub against metal until it shorted as it bounced against the metal, and eventually became a dead short. Pulling the plunger sent a heavy charge directly to the bared wire, burning all the insulation off...the breakaway switch burned because it's a much smaller wire and couldn't handle that much current. The only good thing...we now knew where the elusive short was!

We've replaced the breakaway switch and wiring, and Ken has pulled the wheel...luckily no damage to the brakes, just the wiring which he has repaired. He is making sure to keep the wiring protected so this won't happen again...and you can bet, on our regular inspections of the suspension system...the wiring for the brakes will now be added to the list...all's well that ends well...:angel: Travel safe!

The second pic shows the grommet that we replaced, which originally caused the problem (notice Rescue Tape...LOL). The first one I added to shows the difference in the saddle holding up our springs (this is in response to the other thread showing wiring problems)...it is quite different than what Ihsolutions saddle looks like. The difference is he apparently has 8K springs AND axles. We kept our 7K axles and only added 8K springs...don't know why they look so different?:confused:

Attachments

• 100_0024.jpg
    100_0024.jpg
    506.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_0026.jpg
    100_0026.jpg
    510.1 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Wow - what a scare. Glad it came out well. Nice write up too Kathy and thank you for sharing with all. Please add a picture to your thread showing the wire where it goes into the back of each hub for the brakes. Probably a very good thing everyone should look at each time they are under their RV as well as at some regular interval. Also, look at where the wire comes from (underbelly etc.) to ensure the wire there and the penetration itself look okay. Finally, if your the wiring crosses to the other side of the RV inside the axle tube, inspect the point where the wire goes in on one end and out the other end. I remember years ago, Larry Herris (slaytop) had an abrasion there that caused a short.

Jim

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Glad you guys were able to catch it before any real damage was done.
Thanks for posting this experience. It will help everyone here.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
So glad you were able to fix this before it bacame a huge problem. I had something similar but not as dangerous. I would pull the trailer to our local campground and the one set of brakes would lock up when I turned a corner. . Well I had a bare wire hanging from the axle that would ground out on the backing plate causing the brakes to lock up when I turned the trailer. Luckily I ony had a few turns to get from home to campground and I was able to fix the bare wire without incident. Because of this I am more aware and look specifically at the wires from the axle to the backing plate.

BTW, I have always been scared of just this type of thing. You have this small gauge wire hanging down below the axle just waiting for an road crap to hit it and pull that sucker right out of the backing plate. Sounds like it is time to put on the ole thinking cap and come up with some protection for that wire. SOunds liek an opportunity for a new RV product. Should sell like gangbusters.

Thanks Kathy and Ken for your detailed review and fix.

Mark

wdk450

The emergency braking wiring system unfortunately is subject to a "catch 22" situation.
Because it is for an emergency situation, you don't want a protective circuit breaker or fuse in the circuit that might be blown when the emergency brakes are needed.
Because there is no fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit, in the case of a short circuit, all of your wiring becomes "toaster heating elements" with the massive current supplied by the battery.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here is my question. You said this happened in a rest area. How did you get from the rest area to where you could get it fixed? I know the brake switch locks the trailer brakes and if it got fried then you would have to disconnect it from the system to free up the brakes. Glad yall are okay.

kakampers

The emergency braking wiring system unfortunately is subject to a "catch 22" situation.
Because it is for an emergency situation, you don't want a protective circuit breaker or fuse in the circuit that might be blown when the emergency brakes are needed.
Because there is no fuse or circuit breaker in the circuit, in the case of a short circuit, all of your wiring becomes "toaster heating elements" with the massive current supplied by the battery.

Yep! found that out the hard way...but like I said, it immediately showed us where the problem was...glad we were standing there when it happened...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Scary, too, that two serious brake problems show up here on the same day. Both due to wiring being somehow damaged. I wonder if it would help any to encase most of the exposed wires in a plastic wire conduit and cable wrap it to the axle. Think I'll be crawling under my rig tomorrow to size it up.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
I imagine that some Rescue Tape was used in the repair. LOL. I am glad you found the problem and arrived safety at you destination. Electrical problems sometimes are hard to track down.
On my previous Big Horn I found the same grommets were failing. I used silicone RTV to fill the gap around the gromment and it kept the wires from rubbing.

kakampers

Here is my question. You said this happened in a rest area. How did you get from the rest area to where you could get it fixed? I know the brake switch locks the trailer brakes and if it got fried then you would have to disconnect it from the system to free up the brakes. Glad yall are okay.

Hey Jim...I know I answered this yesterday, but for some reason the post is missing???

Anyway, Ken disconnected the brakeaway switch at the junction box on the back of the pinbox. He then disconnected the wiring at the front axle completely. After we plugged back into the truck we still had brakes on the rear axle. We were able to drive the 40 miles to Tab's place where he completed the repairs.

jmgratz

I imagine that some Rescue Tape was used in the repair. LOL. I am glad you found the problem and arrived safety at you destination. Electrical problems sometimes are hard to track down.
On my previous Big Horn I found the same grommets were failing. I used silicone RTV to fill the gap around the gromment and it kept the wires from rubbing.

Actually we've used a whole roll of Rescue Tape with all the soldering and repairs we've made in the past few weeks...Thank God we have an endless supply....:)

jmgratz

Hey Jim...I know I answered this yesterday, but for some reason the post is missing???

Anyway, Ken disconnected the brakeaway switch at the junction box on the back of the pinbox. He then disconnected the wiring at the front axle completely. After we plugged back into the truck we still had brakes on the rear axle. We were able to drive the 40 miles to Tab's place where he completed the repairs.

Okay... BTW hope that Hurricane Alex does not damage any of your stuff in the valley. It looks like yalls place will be on the 'dirty' side of the storm. See yall in Hershey at the RV Show.

ihsolutions

Glad to hear you guys got it straightened out OK. Not to thread hi-jack, but I'm posting a pic of my axle saddle (the un-broken one) to illustrate the difference between a proper one (yours) and one that will break in short order (mine). Strange, that I paid for 8k pound axles but have inferior hardware compared to your 7k axles. Once I get back from our trip I'm going to contact Heartland and see if perhaps a mistake was made building my unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0975.jpg
    IMG_0975.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    644.8 KB · Views: 30