Flat tire

Princess Kathleen

Woke up this morning with a flat on curbside rear tire....aired it up and headed for a tire repair shop just down the hill....they could not find anything wrong.....so guys.....what is up

PK

jbeletti

Hi PK,

Not sure if you saw my post, but I had the same thing happen to me recently.

I am wondering if by chance, you were using whele chocks. The type that go between the wheels. I use Roto Chocks and they go between the wheels and spread them apart to lock them rock solid.

It has been surmised by another forum member that maybe I had them too tight. I had them really cranked down hard, the tires had "just" been mounted on the rims and maybe, just maybe, they had not had enough time at speed and temperature to seat properly. Just a guess.

Like you, no leak could be found on my tire, rim or valve stem. They were checked thoroughly - twice in the field, then I took it into Sears Auto to dunk in their tank and no bubble.

It's now my spare. I guess we'll find out next time I have to put it on the trailer if it will hold. the only thing I did not test was having it on the trailer with that high vertical load on the tire.

Let us know if you find out anything more.

Jim

Princess Kathleen

Thanks for the info Jim. We were not using that type of chock. We went down the road about 40 miles after having the tire checked out to find it loosing air again.....this time in a local yokal tire place they found a split in the rim....so he changed out the tire and put the spare on and we are back on the road....calling Jim at Heartland after lunch...

PK

Midastouch

Roto chock use

Jim,

I read where you are using the Roto chocks ... was wondering your opinion on them as I am getting ready to order a set for my GC. I initially bought the Bal Wheel chocks and the axles/tires are to close on my coach to use them-we even tried the modifications on them that were mentioned to include taking out the spacers, etc... they just won't work. I need to get a good wheel chock and the Roto chocks seems to be talked about and liked by those who have them.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Curious as to what the spacing between tires is out there ... it looks like I have 2.5 inch space between the tires .... anyone else know off hand what theirs is?

jbeletti

Lynne,

I love the Roto-Chocks. I have not used the Bal or any other "between-the-tires" style of chock so I cannot compare the Rotos to anything else from first-hand experience.

They included a small gift with my order (2 years ago) - a pair of handles that bolt onto the bottom of each front jack just above the plate. Nice for pulling them back up with.

Sorry that I don't recall my tire spacing.

Jim

ct0218

I had about 1 1/2 inches between the tires before Heartland replaced the axles and suspension. I now have a little over 5 inches, and can't help you on the chocks. I never have bought any, though I probably should just to get rid of that minor movement I occasionally get.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I do not have the Bal or the Roto-Chocks, but use a home-made version of both that works very well. I have about 5 1/4 inches between my tires.

Midastouch

Wow ... quite a difference between 2.5 and the 5 inches you have. I guess it depends on the tires, type and wear. :confused: We really never thought too much about the spacing between tires until I went to use the BAL wheel chocks and realized I didn't have enough room to use them. I am going to order some Roto Chocks and I think I have a buyer for the others .... I think they do make a difference and I would rather use them than the ground chocks ... I am stationary and need all the help I can get with movement and such.