4012 Tire failures ??

I have recently had 2 blown tires on the front axle of my 2008 4012 Cyclone. One tire on each side now. The first trip was in April and I didn't see or hear it pop and it did quite a bit of damage. Last weekend I was about 300 miles into a return trip home and heard this one go.

I checked the air pressures before leaving the campground and all was at 63lbs. Both trips I wasn't hauling anything of significant weight in the garage.

The tires are in great shape with no signs of dryrot.

Any experiences or help would be appreciated.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Were they Chinese make tires? If so welcome to the club. I would recommend a tire pressure monitoring system.

lwmcguir

Are you running at least 10 ply? If not your tires are to light. You need to get up to 80 psig (requres 10 ply) and stay away from the Chinese as Jim stated.

gpshemi

D's are too light I think for a 4012. There's not enough side wall in a D range. Prolly building up heat from flexing while towing and they're coming apart on you one by one. Take it for a decent pull, stop at an exit, and feel the tires on the trailer versus the rear tires on you TV. Are they considerably hotter? If so...there's yer sign I'm guessing. My tires get fairly warm, but no different then the truck really. If they're almost too hot to touch, yer killin' them.

D's are too light I think for a 4012. There's not enough side wall in a D range. Prolly building up heat from flexing while towing and they're coming apart on you one by one. Take it for a decent pull, stop at an exit, and feel the tires on the trailer versus the rear tires on you TV. Are they considerably hotter? If so...there's yer sign I'm guessing. My tires get fairly warm, but no different then the truck really. If they're almost too hot to touch, yer killin' them.

Why would Heartland put them on the Cyclone from the factory?

porthole

Retired
Are your tires 15"?

All the Cyclones now come with E rated 16" wheels and tires. Even those have their issues though. I just had one go out after 5000 miles. Fortunately, I knew it was failing and was on my way to a tire shop when it went flat. And, having a pressure monitor alerted me to the tire losing air, giving me enough warning to find a place to pull off the road safely.

See my threads here:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...-Trailer-Tire-and-Wheel-Supermarket?highlight=

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=137656&viewfull=1#post137656

You are going to spend big bucks buying 7 new tire and wheels though.

porthole

Retired
Truck System Technologies
http://www.tsttruck.com/

They were a vendor at the recent Nashville Rally, which is where I got my set.

You can see my monitoring giving a pressure alert here.
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11365-And-so-it-begins?p=137656&viewfull=1#post137656

yrusohi

Had the same problem with my 4012. Lost four tires in one trip last year to Colorado. Luckily had the tire warranty and all six were replaced with non chinese made tires and maxxis were installed.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Maxxis is a very good tire and a great value (I have them)...but they are made in China. I could not find a better USA made tire in my size.