Gen will not run

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I have 5.5 hours on my lp gen set. It primes and fires but only runs about 15 seconds. Once when it did this I thought I was out of lp, after I fiddled with the selector the thing fired and ran.

It will not do this now. some time ago this was happening, when I went to the dealer the dam thing started right up.

I seem to recal a post about the regulators and selector, has anyone had this problem?

I called CS service but got voice mail, left a number (2 days ago), any help is great as we are sitting in a cmap ground in Cannon Beach Or and had been planning on doing so dry camping in a week.

danemayer

I just picked up my Rushmore last week - tested the LP Generator at the dealer for a bit less than an hour. Was running on the offside tank. Seemed fine.
Yesterday, the campground lost power. Fired up the generator, but it would run for only a few seconds, then stop. Opened the onside tank - no change to the LP selector. Generator started right up and continued running. Tried closing the onside tank to use LP from the offside tank. Generator stopped. Reopened the onside tank and closed the offside tank. Generator ran fine for 4 hours.

Today I had the offside tank filled because the generator manual shows less than half filled tank as a possible cause. But the tank was still almost full. Only took about 2 pounds of gas.

Not sure what's going on. Maybe something subtle in the selector.???

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
I had a post in JUly outlining the frustration with cummins Northwest no findingthe problem and charging me $608.00 for the pleasure of telling me they did not know what it was.

next day I used some fittings form by Bar b que and got the thing running. when I found this out I replaced the two pigtails and the gen set works great now.

Northern Virginia
If messing with the selector seems to change the condition of whether it will run, I would suspect some trash (teflon tape or debris) is interfering with the fuel flow. I would shut off the gas and disassemble, clean and blow out the fittings and lines with compressed air.

Good luck,
John

gregd

We just went through the same issues with our Rushmore. Our Genset would run sometimes but then other times it would start but shut off immediately (3-5 seconds). It would either throw a code 12 or 13. I took it to Cummins Northwest and they determined that it was starving for fuel. We swapped out the tank pigtail hoses with their test hoses and everything ran great. We determined that there was just not enough volume with the factory pigtail hoses.

Based on that, I stopped by my local propane shop and had them test the factory supplied pigtails. They found that the safety shutoff valves in the factory supplied tank pigtails with the Type I connectors (the ones with the handy plastic handle) are too sensitive for the fuel load demand of these Gensets. As soon as a high volume fuel demand was sent through the hose, the safety valves closed off solid.

So…I had them make me new pigtails with POLS connectors that have higher volume ratings and …voila…problem solved.

I have worked with Garry at Heartland Customer Service and Heartland is reimbursing me for the new higher volume pigtails.

Good luck…

Greg