Clothes storage for full timing - What do you do?

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We are planning to full time and need a bit of info. from those who already do please! :)
Where and how do you store your clothes that you don't need but will for the next season?

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We just cut way back on the clothes we brought with us. We store our heavy coats at a daughter's house during the summer and only keep a small jacket for when we go to the mountains in the trailer.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Well let's see. For us, full timing means one season. We carry one light jacket and a hooded sweatshirt for the colder evenings or days. A couple pair of jeans for the same reason. The rest of our clothes are shorts and warm weather shirts etc. We have more clothes in storage here in WI when we come back for the WI summer. I usually can go a year and only wear jeans for about 2 weeks. It's really an individual thing and you'll have to play it by ear for a while. If you need something you didn't bring along you can always go shopping ;-)

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Man I like the way Ray thinks! Hey Sam, let's just hook & haul! We'll go shopping when we get there!

SmokeyBare

We've been on the road for over 5 years What we own is in our BigHorn. In our case there hasn't been that much difference in Seasons. We even have a large suitcase for those occasions we must travel away from the RV. It's stored in the floor of the closet and is full of bulky items such as heavier coats. I've even a couple suits for the rare times like weddings and funerals that require wearing one.

Plan on layers for the cold days you'll need it. I believe your going to be surprised at how well you will handle the full-timing Lifestyle. If your like many of us after the first year on the road, you'll make a trip to the Goodwill or Salvation Army surplus store to donate the items you took with you and found you no longer need.

Have FUN planning your Next Adventure !

Marv

SouthernNights

I really like the suitcase for bulky clothes. We had not thought about needing a suitcase but I guess you do. Great idea.

Debbi, we really dont need any ideas about shopping-spending money or buying anything. We are in a recession so the prudent person SAVES money. Thanks anyway.--Except John-he really does need that new 350 he was looking at.:D

Sam and I would really appreciate any other space saving ideas. We are going through our "stuff' right now. For those of you who know us-you know we are not materialistic people. But I still cant believe how much "stuff" we have acquired over the years.
If any one wants free stuff, please feel free to stop and get it. We will even offer a free campsite for the night and help you load it all.:)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Like Marv said, everything we own is in the 5er. Luckily neither one of us is a "clothes hound", so we really don't have that much to worry about.

The clothes we wear most, i.e., shorts, T's, light pants, shirts are either in the dresser drawers or hanging up. The few heavier sweaters, sweat shirts, etc. are in the overhead cabinets in the bedroom. We have our light jackets hanging in the entrance closet next to the front door, and our heavier coats, jeans and few dress items are hanging in the bedroom closet. The only thing we added was a plastic, three drawer storage bin from Walmart, just inside the mirrored closet door to the right (in the new units it's where the louvered W/D doors are), that holds socks, some more shirts and underwear...and that's all we own.

Really haven't found a need for more, as most times we're not in cold weather, so it's a moot point. We really don't have what you'd call seasonal clothes anymore.

As for the suitcase...we bought a fabric, collapsable one from Walmart for $10...folds down to an inch and a half thick, and about 10''x10" and sits on the shelf in the closet until needed.

Last edited:

wdk450

Another thought is to also do some modifications to increase storage. I remember one owner posted about making the bed base accessable and putting plastic storage containers in the space that slide on the floor as the bed slide goes in and out. Some people have added storage under the steps to the bedroom. I converted the small doorside closet into a pantry with the addition of shelving, shelving rails and shelving clips. Manyh RV's have a storage container on the roof accessable by climbing the ladder. Some people have worked on the front storage compartment, removing the wall to the main storage compartment for more storage space.
Are you doing garage sales/Craig's list to get rid of your stuff, and add to your money pot? You can give stuff to thrift stores for charities and get a tax deduction at least.

Good luck!!!

MrsSouthernNights

Thank you everyone for advice, we appreciate it very much! We have several suitcases, plastic storage bins, and lots of ideas now!
Yes there will be a yard sale, going to wait till I can clean out more "STUFF" from the house! Possibly Craig's list for the big stuff... still working things out! :)

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Thank you everyone for advice, we appreciate it very much! We have several suitcases, plastic storage bins, and lots of ideas now!
Yes there will be a yard sale, going to wait till I can clean out more "STUFF" from the house! Possibly Craig's list for the big stuff... still working things out! :)

Hey Sam, you're not going to put Larry on Craigslist are you?

goodtruck

We are using vacuum bags to store large bulky things like coats and suites,extra quilts,pillows etc.they cut the space by 30-40%.