Bighorn Front Jacks

swpoole

I am running 2 - 6 Volt deep cycle batteries in my 3410. When raising the front jacks to level the trailer, the motor for the front jacks slows & powers out. It runs as if it is under substantial load. Batteries are new and well charged. Has anyone else had issues with the front jacks on their trailer? :cool:

Steve

branson4020

Icantre Member
Start by checking voltage reading across you batteries. Should be about 12.8V if fully charged and not connected to shore power.

BruteForce

I have 2x 12volt Deep Cycle (standard RV style) batteries in my RW395. It's done the same to me (batteries die). I now run the GenSet when raising or lowering the leveling legs <and bringing in the slides> (if not on Shore power).

wdk450

I have 2x 12volt Deep Cycle (standard RV style) batteries in my RW395. It's done the same to me (batteries die). I now run the GenSet when raising or lowering the leveling legs <and bringing in the slides> (if not on Shore power).

When I pull into a space I hook up the AC power cord first thing, and remove it last thing when I pull out, to minimize the drain on the batteries with the landing gear.

branson4020

Icantre Member

This is just crazy. Your batteries should have PLENTY of capacity to raise the front jacks or activate the slides a dozen times. Maybe they are not charged?

swpoole

In Reply to the comments I've received, voltage across the batteries is 13.4V with trailer "OFF" shore power. I too keep the shore power connected to the very last and hoist the landing gear while connected. Even doing this, the landing gear will slowly grind to a halt as if the batteries were dying. There is no corrosion on the sleeves of the landing gear and when the trailer is hooked to the truck the gear will run up and down without effort. Only when the weight of the trailer is upon the gear does it bog down. Does anyone know if a higher amperage motor is available to replace the existing motor? Thank you everyone for your input!!

Steve

RoadJunkie

A lot of variables here; Is this a new problem or did the jacks once work with the existing batteries? I assume your not hitting the stops? Is the RV loaded too heavy? When the motor stops, and you release the button, what is the battery voltage? Is the battery really dead or is the motor overheating and therefore less efficient?

wdk450

You might try "exercising" the jacks up and down to the point of near failure, then QUICKLY run your fingers over the backside of the switch and over any electrical connections looking for heat, which is a sign of poor electrical connections (including the internal switch contacts). A poor connection acts like a kink in a sprinkler hose reducing the availible water (electric power).

Good luck!

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Have the same setup with two 6 volt and the electric jacks in 3400rl. have not had an issue with not enough power for the jacks. Most of the time, I use the jacks without the shore power connected. Appears to be an issue with a bad connection or problem with the jack motor.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I had sort of the same problem. Sometimes the jacks needed help to start jacking the 5th up. The fix was only $300 away. Bought a 2nd jack for the other side, now I have no problems

Willym

Need to ensure that battery connections are clean and secure. Leg motors draw a goodly current, and a high resistance connection anywhere in the circuit will result in a substantial voltage drop.

swpoole

Thank you everyone for your replies. I will try the suggestions you have given me and advise of the results.

Steve