Latest cool mod

jpajax

Have been thinking about this for a while. It is hanging sun screen on awning in a way that it roll up and down with it. I have an electric awning didn't know if it had enough power or not. Went to Harbor Fright bought a 9' X15'' mess tarp then went to Lowe's for .140" window screen welt. Took it too upholstery shop had it cut down to 7'x14'4" this is about 8" shorter than the width and 7' so it would all roll up inside when it is all the way up, sewed the .140'' welt in the top slid it in the awning and rolled it up worked like a charm. Tried posting a video but file two large will post photos later if interested will send pm with video. If you done this and had troubles let me know.:cool:

jddugan

Sounds like a great idea! I looked on Lowes website to no avail for the .140 welt. Do you have a better description, a part number, or a UPC number from your receipt for what you bought? Thanks for the info. Have a great Holiday!

jpajax

Just happen to have photo on file.

Attachments

• 0609102006.jpg
    0609102006.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 141
  • 0609102006a.jpg
    0609102006a.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 174

JJnLilly

Neat. We are headed to Myrtle Beach in Sept and was wondering how to handle our mesh sun screen - hated the though of putting it in and taking it out daily.

jpajax

Hear are some photos still haven't found away to send video yet. There is one thing I would do different is to use the next size up on the screen spline. The .140" works but the next size would fit tighter. Will be at Myrtle Beach next week will give it a good test drive let you know how it works. If you are in neighborhood drop by.

Attachments

• 0701101124a.jpg
    0701101124a.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 278
  • 0701101123.jpg
    0701101123.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 295
  • 0701101124.jpg
    0701101124.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 0701101750.jpg
    0701101750.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

SilverRhino

Jim;

Great simple solution to the problem of dealing with the extra sun shade!

I've added this to my "To Do" list......have to get the DW's list completed first....but then....my list gets worked on! Thanks for sharing your idea.

Randy

Travel Safe!

jpajax

Works very well with mine. Did a little test with my new toy (infrared thermometer) on difference a sun screen makes.

Attachments

• PIC_0007[1].jpg
    PIC_0007[1].jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 43
  • PIC_0008[1].jpg
    PIC_0008[1].jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 44

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Well Linda is going to be very happy and so will the A/C unit (if it ever quits raining). July in Kansas should be hot, but leave it to the east coast to take from us ;)

Thanks Jim.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
It is currently 101 in Sumter South Carolina-East Coast. Just when would you like your hot weather back?
I have had enough of it already-not looking forward to August around here.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Be careful what you wish for. A month and a half ago the weather people on TV were begging for rain. Since that time we have had rain almost everyday due to one hurricane and one tropical depression. Got to admit though it has been cooler. It just that everytime it quits raining you have to mow the grass cause it grows so fast.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Hmmm, mowing, mowing.....yeah I remember that. Now its something that crew does every week and it wakes me up from my nap.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hmmm, mowing, mowing.....yeah I remember that. Now its something that crew does every week and it wakes me up from my nap.

How about changing blades on the riding mower? Ever do that? I just did and it sure cuts better. 50 inch deck makes short work of the 2 acres.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Jim, Put the screen on the awning Sunday. A storm blew in and we rolled it up, worked great. Linda is happy which makes me happy.

jpajax

Glad to hear that it works ok. I am now trying to find a good way too hold it down and still let it go up with out going out too unhook. I know how lazy can you get.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Let me know if you figure that one out, right now I use the tarp clamps (that I posted before ) bunge cord and big orange tent stakes I found at Home Depot.

imchud

Well Linda is going to be very happy and so will the A/C unit (if it ever quits raining). July in Kansas should be hot, but leave it to the east coast to take from us ;)

Thanks Jim.

Jim, I'm sure if you ask..... they will give it back with no questions asked.:D

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Thanks, it's starting to heat up again, we'll sent you the rain. Now if we could only get the humidity down under 85% . But as fast as this summer has gone, Fall can't be to far away. Only got to fire up the smoker one time thsi season,I ready for some ribs and pulled pork.

SilverRhino

Found some sun shade material at Home Depot.....comes in 4 different colors. Rolls were 6' wide and came in various lengths....size that would work for me was about $28.....DW liked the light tan color over the black that I found at Harbor Freight. Fortunately....DW is good with the sewing machine and said that hers will easily handle sewing in the spline. Hope to get it all done in the next few days before we head out to New Mexico. Thanks again for the information!

Travel Safe!