shock real close to tire

Bobby A

While checking the torque on my u-bolts today I noticed on the off door side front axle the shock is only about a 1/2 inch from the tire and on the real axle the shock is about an inch from the tire. on the door side it seems both shocks are a couple or 3 inches from the tires. Is this normal ?? I do have the G614 tires but never really noticed how close the shocks are to the tires. Thanks

boatdoc

I'd take em off before they start rubbing. I did ours and could not feel any diff in the way it pulls. They don't work anyway being layed down as much as they are unless they have changed the mounts. Lot's of posts on the way shocks are being used.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
If you keep your tires balanced, then you don't need the shocks, especially the way they are installed originally. I was told this by a Lippert person that worked on my trailer when the spring broke.

BC

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I'd take them off, my '07 never came with them and rides fine. I asked about why they didn't come with shocks and the answer was that they found out they rode better without them. I can understand the answer after seeing them on the new rigs , with the angle that they are installed .I think they put them on because most of us seem to think they have to be there , my thoughts....Kenny

slaytop

The close proximity of the shocks will produce a rub on sharp turns as the tires lean while under stress. They may not rub at all during normal straight running. The greatest danger is when the side walls are rubbing against a sharp edge such as the shock bracket. If the tire rubs against the rounded side of the shock momentarily while turning and not at other times then I don't consider it a dangerous situation. I imagine the shocks are there to keep the trailer and axles from bouncing and we all know there are many trailers without them. I would vote to keep the ride as good as possible.

Bobby A

Thanks guys, I guess the verdict is in, I'll remove the shocks. The funny thing is, Lippert installed the c/p systems a couple months back and put new shocks on at the same time. Go figure ???

Last edited:

beardedone

Beardedone
I have posted on this before but I had the CP system installed with a new type of shock which was installed much closer to vertical than the OEM ones. It rides very well now.

lwmcguir

If you have 1/2 inch on one side and 2-3 inches on the other side of the frame you better investigate a bit further. There is no way there should be more than 1/2 inch difference side to side. Something is wrong here. I don't have shocks with the CP system as there is no room left with the 3.75 inch drums in place. Rides great with out them.