3055rl Fireplace overheat danger

Last week at the Oregon coast, we had the fireplace on for several hours in the am. A fellow rv'er and retired fireman noticed that you could not touch the veneer (sp?) above the fp because it was so hot. In ours there is a vacant box above the fireplace that is open and framed out of some unknow but, I suspect, inexpensive veneer. It was the bottom of the box which covers the fp. I don't know the flash point (yet) of the veneer Heartland uses but it was too hot to hold your hand on. The fireman friend advised that, over time, the problem would get more dangerous (don't that to be a fact yet). Any comments or others experiencing the issue??:eek:

tappet

Fireplace mantle hot

I noticed the wooden mantle above the fireplace in our 3045 becomes so hot you cannot touch it after awhile and now I check it often and shut it off.

RickNB

Check out this previous thread especialy near the last few posts. Others have had this problem.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=667

Have fun
Rick

nhunter

I don't know where the original thread might be but, ours used to do the same thing. I ended up pulling the fireplace out (4 screws in trim, 2 in top flange) and added a piece of 1/2" plywood under the base of fireplace. These fireplaces are designed to be mounted on a solid surface floor apparently, not on carpet. There is designed airspace that needs to allow airflow under the fireplace for cooling. Now ours will run for days and not get hot.

ChopperBill

Mine gets hot but not as hot as the above posts and I can see through the sides of the front that there is carpet in the opening. Having the dealer check it out along with some OTHER FACTORY KNOWN problems that were mentioned in this forum BEFORE we placed our order.