Towing a 183 with minivan

Lax27

Is anyone out there towing their MPG with a minivan? Technically my minivan has the specs to tow the MPG (rated for 3500lbs) but when I start to consider GCWR and available payload things start to get fuzzy. 2006 Buick Terraza. Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi Lax27,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure someone will jump in here and give their opinion also.

Enjoy the forum and your new toy.

Jim M

brains77396

Go to the "r-pod nation" Forum. The R-pod is very similar in size, weight and shape to the MPG. Several of the members there had discussed their experience towing with minivans, use of weight distributing hitches and anti-sway control devices. Also, since the floor plans are so similar, a lot of the mods the members there have created can be applied to the MPG. I like the MPG 183 and I am only waiting to see how bad Texas A&M beats up on my wallet, as my son will be starting his freshman year there this fall. Will be towing with a 2010 Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V-6.

Is anyone out there towing their MPG with a minivan? Technically my minivan has the specs to tow the MPG (rated for 3500lbs) but when I start to consider GCWR and available payload things start to get fuzzy. 2006 Buick Terraza. Thanks.

brains77396

Using Heartlands MPG numbers.
GVWR 3,800 lbs
Empty weight 2,807 lbs
useful load 993 lbs

That is how much you can add without being over weight on the trailer. However, your van will only pull 3,500 lbs, so your useful load would only be 693 (3,800 - 3,500 = 300) and (993 - 300 = 693). A full tank of water, plus water heater, plus 2 gallons each for black and grey water weights 336 lbs. Add 40 lbs for gas and subtract that from 693 leaving you with 317 lbs without going over you vans tow capacity. So, if you take a full tank of water, not necessary unless dry camping, you can add another 317 lbs of food and others goodies. Remember though, when you go to 3,500 lbs you will at 100% of what you can pull. Only you can decide if your TV is in good enough shape to tow at the max rate 100% of the time. Big hint. Think paper and plastic to help hold the weight down. Travel with only enough water for flushing and hand washing. If your van doesn't have a tow package from the factory, you might want to add an auxiliary oil and transmission cooler. A dealer told me a couple of weeks ago that before he will sell a trailer, the tailer must have a 10% weight cushion under the TV's capacity. Although all this is about as clear as mud, I hope it helps.

shmily76

If it's any help, we bought an MPG just over a month ago, and we tow ours with a sway bar, hauled by a Hyundai Santa Fe (similar to a Murano). We just returned from the Smokey Mtns, and had NO problems. Words of advice- travel with the potable water tank 1/3 full, and add some additional weight (suitcases, etc) to the back of the trailer (opposite end of the towing hitch), and it won't weigh down the minivan so much. We had a blast in our little Kermit (we have the 183- green model)

best of luck! We love our little guy!

looking

We were torn because we thought the mpg was too close to our tow weight. Our salesperson suggested calling the dealership where we bought our pilot and give them the VIN # and ask them to check the tow weight for the vehicle. The book on my Honda Pilot said 3500 pounds but the service person said that with the towing package they installed for me when I purchaes the vehicle I could tow 4500 pounds. That eased our minds and we bought our 181.

mcota

This may be a little late but here goes. We are pulling with a Saturn Relay it also has a towing weight of 3500 lbs. The van pulls it fine. We are not the fastest thing on the road, but average 55 or 60 mph on level ground, considerably slower in the mountains. We did have a transmission cooler installed.