Larry the headhunter is getting operated on

RollingHome

FYI, I asked Larry if it would be OK for me to violate the HIPA guidelines on the forum and he said "yeah go ahead". Larry Headhunter is getting operated on tomorrow. He could use your prayers and thoughts. Maybe a line or two on the forum (this Post) to cheer him up when he gets out of the hospital. He did say he would be reading the forum and watching for your post, so feel free to do so. He just could not live with that bad back of his so he's trying to do something about it. His back got so bad he couldn't even handle a 50 amp cord and he wasn't sure if he could continue RV'ing. It really is a serious operation and not one I would want anytime soon. Speaking of that, since I was told I need a similar operation, I told Larry I am going to use him for my test dummy, so he better do well. I also told him to not get the operation unless his surgeon gaurantee's him for parts and labor for 90 days. I'm sure Larry would enjoy reading your post on the forum wishing him success in the op. Thanks:angel:, Tom

Larry,
What a trooper. May God guide the surgeons hands and you have a successful operation.
BTW, I thought the original date was July 6th??? If it was i am glad they moved it on you.

God bless....

One Back Ache Person to another. I been there and done that. I did well with the surgery just took a while to get back up and running. So take it easy once you get the go ahead to do a few things. Best of luck to ya , We offer our prayers for a speedy recovery.

Dale.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lar, you know that Patty and I wish you all the best. We "WILL" see you in Buellton...wont we.

Now..Now Tom........poor ol' Lar....calling him a "test dummy". Larry...he said it ...not me.

MrsSouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
We will pray for steady hands for the surgeon (s) - peace for your family as they wait - and speedy healing for you!

SilverRhino

Larry;

We will be praying for you tomorrow and through your recovery. I hope that your surgery and recovery are as smooth and uncomplicated as mine were. You know that you'll have to recover pretty quickly......the Beagles will not allow you to stay down too long!!

God Bless you and your family......He never gives us more than we can handle!

Randy

Last edited:

PSF513

LARRY: We will also be praying for you. I have to second Randy's comment "He never gives us more than we can handle!" I believe that very much

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
I want to thank everyone of you for all your good wishes, phone calls, Emails, PM's and cards, they were awesome and really make me feel good, and ty for brightening up my DW Debbi's outlook as she is scared beyond what anyone should endure.

I spent an hour yesterday with the neurosurgeon and he explained the long 6-11 hour surgery I am undertaking, with his strong, skillful hands and bright mind. He is a Columbia University undergraduate, Yale Med School, George Washington University and Stanford Residency in Neurosurgery, and I have complete confidence in his abilities.

I am having a full decompression, including freeing the crushed but salvageable nerves in the middle of my L 4-5 and L-5 S1, and it involves cutting out all the facet joints and ligaments, and then Dr. Dembner will perform a complete spinal fusion of the above vertebrae, using cages that look like rectangle erasers to replace the discs, and placing pedicles and screws and rods made of Titanium to create stability and assist the fusion of the bones. He will make sure that if there is any other troublesome areas nearby, they will be repaired as well. The biggest scare of spinal fusions are if the nerves have thick scar tissue, then I will be in a life long battle with chronic pain, but he feels that I have a great chance for a full recovery, as he saw minimal nerve scarring in all the tests I had. At the end of the surgery, he will shoot a large amount of morphine right into the spinal chord so that I will have 24 hours of minimal pain, considering the scope of the surgery. I will be wearing a beautiful, tight corset for 3 months, and have a bone growth stimulator to assist in the fusion of the bones. I have a positive, strong attitude, thanks to my family and to you, my dear RV'ing friends, and my motto will be manning up and staying tough.

I plan to keep this thread as updated as I can, and hope to be giving all my friends here the latest news in the next couple of weeks, depending on my condition. I will be the happiest man on Earth to stop taking all this morphine and pain meds, and all I can say is God Bless each and every one of you for caring so much about me, and encouraging me to get this horrible back condition repaired. Many of you are feeling similar pain as me, and I hope to be an example of positive thinking and complete recovery.

The truth is that when I had to turn around after 4 days on our RV summer trip, and return home with tears in my eyes and wishing that I was enjoying the Oregon rally, I was extremely upset and incredibly depressed. Then, all of a sudden the emails, and phone calls started coming in, encouraging me and making me feel like people really cared about me and it emotionally turned me around completely. So thanks everyone, you have made a difference in my life and I thank each and every one of you, and to let you know that you have a made a huge, positive difference in my life. My goal is to recover as quickly as possible and get out there and saddle up our RV and ride into the sunset.

RollingHome

Larry, with your positive attitude and kind disposition you'll be back in the saddle before ya know it ! Happy trails to you my friend and wife Debbi :).

Tom

PS, Don't forget the 90 day warranty :angel: !

PPS, Wives are supposed to worry, I know Patti does...

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Best wishes from the East Coast, Larry - we'll be praying for your speedy recovery. Hopefully we'll see you in Goshen next year!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Larry, Hang in there buddy and remember what it says in the Bible, "Through His stripes we are healed". The stripes are the marks made from the beating Jesus took at the hands of the Roman Soldiers. He took that beating that we may be healed. So remember, it says we ARE healed not we may be or might be healed. So claim the healing and as it is already yours. Like my doctor told me before my cancer surgery. He said, I am the surgeon, God is the Healer. God bless and the prayers have already been said for your recovery. Take care.

Bobby A

Larry, may God bless you and the surgeons, I will keep you in prayer, you are a valuable asset to this forum and we need you healthy.

DW_Gray

Larry, I know your pain. I had spinal fusion 5 years ago on L5-S1. That was the best thing I've done. I was a chicken and waited way to long. My back got so bad that some nights I'd wake up with my whole left leg paralyzed. It would stay that way until I could move my upper body in a different position. Sounds like you have a good doctor. I encourage you to follow the instructions after surgery. My prayers are with you and I expect to hear a good report.

Larry, like many others, I've been there and done that. It was well worth it, as you will soon feel and see. Best of luck and may God bless you and Debbi.

boatdoc

Larry, Diana and I wish you the best of luck in the following weeks. We are pulling for you and keeping you in our thoughts. Missed you at the rally but we think you did the wise thing by going back. Debbi's strong, she'll be fine.
Keep the faith, your Oregon buddy, boatdoc Gary & Diana

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Larry, all the best to you. I have faith that you will make it through this with the help of God and your loving family and of course the cheers from your Heartland Family. I suppose having a pretty good surgeon will help a little too. Take Care and Keep the Faith!

Larryheadhunter

I am starting to hear the Adams Family music in my head, and the countdown in my house has begun. LOL Only 4 hours and change till blastoff. It's surreal. Cya all later down the yellow brick road...............

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Whoa, best of luck, Larry. I had the same areas worked on, but didn't need to go quite as far as you are. Mine was only a 4 hour overhaul, cleaned out the calcified disc crud, opened channels in the vertebrae for the sciatics to pass easily through. But no appliances installed. I've gone almost 16 years without needing any warranty work on it. But I knew your pain (or at least a good part of it). I did 26 weeks of physical therapy trying to get rid of the pain before the surgery, so recovery after was under 4 weeks.

Larryheadhunter

Hey JohnDar. What's a little titanium between friends? Sounds like a microcosm of what I am about to endure, but all the kind supporting words make me feel just a little bit stronger, so I am heading off to the hospital, guys, Hasta luego as they now say in our country. I knew it was the right thing to do when I saw the films of the nerves on both sides being pressed on by bones. UGH! Going to feel good after it's all over and I can walk and stand without pain.

Well, Debbi has started the car and my son is dragging me over there, prying my fingers off while I am holding tightly onto the furniture. Wow, now my daughter has got my feet...... Yeah, I am really looking forward to this operation. LOL