Problem Hitching Up with Reese Hitch

Dave012

So I was hitching up tonight so we could leave early tomorrow morning, and had a problem getting the jaw closed all the way around the king pin. Normally I would just back in with the hitch open, and it would snap shut. I have a Reese 18K Signature Series hitch.

Tonight the jaw would only go about half way around the kingpin. Tried it several times including when lowering the trailer and greasing the kingpin. Then just rocked the truck back and forth a bit and when I visually checked it, it was all the way in, and I could insert the retaining pin into the handle. Did a pull test and it didn't come unhitched.

Anyone else have problems with their Reese hitches doing this. Anything I need to worry about before driving tomorrow? Everything looks fine hitched up, but this was unusual for this hitch.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dave

Last edited:

noobee

I have the same hitch as you. Once I've backed into the unit, I have to move forward slightly for the hitch to connect properly. If I don't do the forward thing the jaws don't fully wrap around the pin & the pull arm doesn't go back to the 'home' position.

CS

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
The only problem I had once was everything was fine but I couldn't get the safety pin in the hole. I removed the head and found I had bent the piece that alignes the safety hole and tells you everything is locked. I bent the lever back to its original shape been fine for 3 years now. I believe I caused this from being high hitched and it bent slightly. I really like mine and would buy again.......Kenny

Gator

I notice you said you backed in with the hitch open. My dealer instructed me to back in with the hitch closed and watch for the handle to open and close. Not sure it would make any difference, just the way my dealer suggested.

Duramax1

I have the same hitch as you and I also experienced the same problem.

What I found to be the solution was to lower the 5th wheel so that it contacted the front part of the hitch head which and actually caused the 5th wheel to raise up when connecting.

Sometime later I read the instructions from Reese and looked at the accompanying diagrams and of course that was the Reese recommended manner of hitching up the 5th wheel.

It is an excellent hitch

Upon giving this matter more thought, the movement I notice when hitching up is probably related to the hitch head and the weight on the back of the truck rather than the 5th wheel actually raising up

Last edited:

Northern Virginia
My Reese 20k manual says to lower the king pin 1" below the hitch plate and back up with the hitch unlocked but closed. It will open and close (latch) as you back up.

Don't forget to latch it and pull test. This has worked very good for me.

Also, when unhitching, you want the hitch against the back of the jaws (pressure against the hitch with the truck in reverse). Makes it easy to open.

Hope this helps, John

noobee

I notice you said you backed in with the hitch open. My dealer instructed me to back in with the hitch closed and watch for the handle to open and close. Not sure it would make any difference, just the way my dealer suggested.

With a SIGNATURE hitch?

shagan77

I have the Reese 'Hidden Hitch Signature Series' 24k hitch and suffer through exactly what everyone of you is talking about. Besides which, for some reason when I open the hitch (slide the lever out) it is spring loaded but will not stay out. Someone either has to sit in the bed of the truck and hold the lever open (scary) or I use a bungee cord to hold it open. This was a very expensive hitch and I find it very disappointing. I also have the problem with the bent safety catch lever, due to having to move the RV up and down to get the hitch to finally lock. I've also tried greasing/silicone/etc to try to make it smoother to no avail. It looks like the hitch head needs to be an inch or inch and a half taller (with the locking portion in the same place) so it will all line up. It is a pain, but when I am not towing I can just swing open the arms of the hitch and pull it out of my truck, leaving only 4 little holes in the bed. Very clean.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the Reese 'Hidden Hitch Signature Series' 24k hitch and suffer through exactly what everyone of you is talking about. Besides which, for some reason when I open the hitch (slide the lever out) it is spring loaded but will not stay out. Someone either has to sit in the bed of the truck and hold the lever open (scary) or I use a bungee cord to hold it open. This was a very expensive hitch and I find it very disappointing. I also have the problem with the bent safety catch lever, due to having to move the RV up and down to get the hitch to finally lock. I've also tried greasing/silicone/etc to try to make it smoother to no avail. It looks like the hitch head needs to be an inch or inch and a half taller (with the locking portion in the same place) so it will all line up. It is a pain, but when I am not towing I can just swing open the arms of the hitch and pull it out of my truck, leaving only 4 little holes in the bed. Very clean.

You need to pull the 2 pins holding the head on , turn upside down. If your safety lever is not functioning right the tab on the end has been bent , which can be fixed by bending back in shape. The only thing that can cause this is high hitching the pin , reason I know is I did it. If you raised and lowered your rig with the pin cramed in there to try to get it to work , probably bent additional parts of the safety lever or springs have come loose or broken.....Kenny

2010augusta

I also have the problem with the bent safety catch lever, due to having to move the RV up and down to get the hitch to finally lock.

It looks like the hitch head needs to be an inch or inch and a half taller (with the locking portion in the same place) so it will all line up.

the slide lever only stays out if it is pulled slightly forward to find a bit of a catch.

Why does the RV need to move up or down to hitch? Every time we hitch I make sure the pin box on the 5th wheel hits the ramp in the hitch and rides up lifting the RV a few inches. We have only had 1 instance of a hitching issues in the past 2 years of use.

It sound like you may have high hitched and bent/damaged the head of the hitch and it needs to be repaired. I would get on the phone and talk to someone at Reese about your issues.

kwb4444

I have the Reese 20K hitch. Don't like it much. Like you, when unhitching, I have to pull on the unhitching level an extra one-half inch. Then my wife pulls the truck forward and we unhitch. So I can't unhitch by myself.
I talked to my dealer, and he says "so what".

One thing about the Reese hitches, is that they do go go all of the way around the pin. They might go 3/4s of the way, not much more than that. Other hitches (Curt, etc) go all of the way around the pin.

My Reese seems to be really loose. I have significant chucking with my 14,000 # trailer and Ford F350. I think that the chucking problem is due the the loose Reese hitch. A hitch dealer said to junk the Reese, and install a Curt (or other) that is tighter. I am trying the get the dealer to take it back.

ken

jnbhobe

I have the 18K Elite and don't have any problems hitching or unhitching, I didn't have any problems with the PUL-RITE or the Huskey either.