Don't understand some dealers

4ever

A few weeks ago I emailed 4 Heartland, Landmark dealers requesting a quote. One of them emailed me back very quickly within 12 hours. Two of the dealers never even responded back. One other did email me back on a Friday saying he would contact me on Monday. When I did not hear anything by Wednesday I emailed and asked if they were even interested. They emailed back saying he had been out of the office for a couple of days. Stated they were new to the Landmark line and now would have to wait till the end of the week when the manager gets back. That was last week and I still have not heard from them. After all this I decided I would contact another dealer. Gave him a list of what I wanted and he came back with what he has on his lot. After a few days I finally got him to understand that I have specific item I want and that is what I would like to have a quote on. Said he would get back to me. That was three days ago.

Out of these five dealers there is one that wants to work with me. Seems OK and have I have no problems dealing with him. He is just the farthest away of all of the ones I contacted. Just wanted to really deal with someone a little closer. I guess if I want the Landmark I will have to work with him. Just don't understand why the others would not even try. Then they wonder why sales are down. Go figure.

Ted

tmcran

Yep. Lots of stories about bad dealers as well as some very good ones. Problem is to find the right one. I have found this to be the busy time of the year. I got my 09 in February ... very slow I had dealers falling all over me. Didn't even need an appt to get some warranty work done. I bet someone in your area will be able to recommend someone. Good luck.

imchud

A few weeks ago I emailed 4 Heartland, Landmark dealers requesting a quote. One of them emailed me back very quickly within 12 hours. Two of the dealers never even responded back. One other did email me back on a Friday saying he would contact me on Monday. When I did not hear anything by Wednesday I emailed and asked if they were even interested. They emailed back saying he had been out of the office for a couple of days. Stated they were new to the Landmark line and now would have to wait till the end of the week when the manager gets back. That was last week and I still have not heard from them. After all this I decided I would contact another dealer. Gave him a list of what I wanted and he came back with what he has on his lot. After a few days I finally got him to understand that I have specific item I want and that is what I would like to have a quote on. Said he would get back to me. That was three days ago.

Out of these five dealers there is one that wants to work with me. Seems OK and have I have no problems dealing with him. He is just the farthest away of all of the ones I contacted. Just wanted to really deal with someone a little closer. I guess if I want the Landmark I will have to work with him. Just don't understand why the others would not even try. Then they wonder why sales are down. Go figure.

Ted

Ted, I'm in Ohio (findlay) also and we got ours at Jim May RV, but he is long gone, (he is going on vacation with the Fed's for 3 years) I think General RV in MI sells Heartland product, however i know nothing about their service. If I were you and Depending on where you live in Ohio I would go to Elkhart IN, - about 3 hours from the toledo area and talk to the people at RV Capital, they are a big service center but I was told that they can sell new ones. I dont know 1st hand, but the service is great, i think it would be worth a phone call.

Tom

Wharton

WE had a similar problem when we emailed 4 dealers. 3 responded initially. Once we started to ask questions 2 were left. Ended up around the same price, brought up the issue of a trade in(which I had documented in my first email) and another one dropped out. 1 dealer left, went with him and was very happy.

Good luck...............

noobee

Same thing happened to me a number of years ago... I sent faxes to 7 automotive dealers & only received 2 responses. I concluded that many were 'old style' dealers that want to 'snare' you in their show rooms.

Perhaps some of the RV dealers are from the same old-school as many automotive dealers.!!!!!!!!

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Ted,
I am with Tom (imchud) on this one. I would go to Great Lakes RV Elkhart Indiana and talk to Rob Reid. Tell him Mark sent you and to give you a good deal or else. LOL! Rob is a good guy and the owner, not a lot of high priced buildings or overhead but is one of the largest Heartland dealers in the country. He also owns RV Capital. He can schedule a factory tour if you like and see first hand how things are done at Heartland. It is really cool if you haven't been to a factory tour yet. Worth the trip in my opinion.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Mark

4ever

Hey guys thanks for the input. We have gone out and talked with Great Lakes RV. Great Lakes was the only one that got back to me. I am glad to hear that some of you have had good experience with them. Helps with the comfort level. We were out there this week and just got back yesterday. Visited Great Lakes and took the factory tour. Second time for me on the tour and first time for DW. Brad Cyman gave us the tour and then we met with Tim Kauffman. Both were great. Spent time with us and answered all our questions Never felt rushed. Must say that all my experiences dealing with Heartland have been very good.

Ted

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Hey Ted,
Did you know we are having a rally next weekend. Take a look.

boatdoc

Ted, The one thing that we found out is the dealers don't want to "deal" with anybody in the "know". By you emailing they usume you have searched the net and know more about the units than they do, especialy if you mention this forum. Like noobee said they would much rather get a pigeion to come so they can sweep them of their feet with a very nice looking Heartland product. Heaven forbid they have to do a little work and take 5%-15% for their 5th wheel instead of standing there, answer a couple questions and have you sign your life away with a 30%-40% markup.

wdk450

Hey Ted,
Did you know we are having a rally next weekend. Take a look.

4Ever:
If you don't currently own an RV, prospective buyers have attended other rallies while staying at nearby motels. If you DO have an RV, SOB (Some Other Brand) owners are also welcome at our rallies. It's a good chance to meet current Heartland owners, and see the rigs.

Delaine and Lindy

Ted, I highly recomend you call RV's for Less in Knoxville, Tennessee. They sell Heartland products and they will work with you. If you haven't gotten a order sheet I suggest you get one and work up the options you want. Then pick 5 Dealerships and have then send you their best price. We very seldom ever go back to a dealership. Many dealerships don't like to do warranty work, and you will be either waiting on parts or they will blame the manufactor for not sending the parts. Another (SOME) manufactors are begining to tell the owners to contact the component manufactor while still within the one year warranty????? Good Luck..... GBY....

APT

A good friend of mine purchased a Big Horn ordered through RV Capital/Great Lakes RV. He worked with Gary and highly recommended bot the dealer and salesman when I was shopping. I talked with Gary but ended up with Terrytown Travel Center in Grand Rapids mainly because they had an order in the system that could be changed to my specifications/options and get it quicker for the same price. Regardless, you can create an account and build your own and request a quote. Should get in within a couple hours.

I have also heard good things about LLakeshore RV. Talk to your Heartland Rep (call the general number and ask for the Landmark rep for Ohio) about hidden options, which may include upgraded axles, hubs, brakes, etc.

RoadJunkie

Perhaps you guys have taken this approach, but put yourselves in the dealer's mind set. That is, how does the dealer know someone is serious about ordering an RV or just testing the waters (other than you have taken the time to email about an RV and with what features you would like)? If I were a dealer I would probably want to hear that I intend to order by a specific date, perhaps indicate you are geared up and ready (with TV) to pick up a RV immediately, include some sort of statement that you are pre approved for financing (if financing the RV), and finally that you expect a response by such-and-such a date or you will consider them to be uninterested in an email deal. Imagine how may emails they must get from the general public compared to the number that are actually serious. And if someone is in the dealership, vs in email land, who's going to get the oil on the squeaky wheel?