Why should I buy a Landmark over a Mobile Suite?

R

Rex&Nancy

I'm not trying to be funny I just need some help. We have narrowed down our search to these two 5vers, the Landmark and the Mobile Suite and I'd like anyones input as to why we should purchase one over the other.

Thanks.

ChopperBill

Don't have either one but will stick my neck out because I was thinking about it the other day. Where I store our Bighorn it next to a Mobile Suite. Got to looking it over and even looked at the underside. I looked at things that I only became aware of after our purchase. That is one **** of a built coach! The slides are built into the sides and not just butted up to the outside. That would take some real quality control to do. The lower panels are almost as sturdy as the rest of the sides. I know it probably is twice the price of our BH but you sure can tell why. If I had that kind of money to spend it sure would be one at the top of the list. Haven't got personal with a Landmark so I will let the others chime in that have.

Cheryl

I don't have any personal knowledge about Mobile Suites. I just wanted to share that Randy from the Heartland factory told my hubby that maybe we should get a Mobile Suite. This is because we have a serious crack in the fiberglass on the bedroom slide side of our Grand Canyon. It isn't on the slide, but right at the corner of the trailer where the slide goes in. Nelson has been trying to get it repaired, but our dealer doesn't sell Heartland's (something they neglected to tell us before we bought ours) and the dealer that Randy told Nelson to contact isn't going to be selling them any more either, so they won't help.

igotjam

canada
MS or Landmark

REx & Nancy...I have been contemplating the same 2 as you for a couple of years and am placing my order this DEC. I notice that you get a variety of responses on each of the forums you listed on. Every response has good info and both 5ers are great chioces. The choice of a 5er will always be a toss up and subject to personal opinion (and some cases luck). If you have spent any time at all reading these forums you will know what you are getting into. In my opinion it appears that Heartland has an edge in customer service after the purchase over Doubletree. I know the folks at Heartland were way more responsive to my questions than anyone at Doubletree during my search. Having said that, My order goes to Doubletree (personal preference) but whichever way you go, I'm sure you will be happy.

Scott

Mobile Suites builds a good coach - and the Landmark is a good coach. They have become significantly different in price over the last eighteen months, so I would think this question may end up focusing on the best value for your money - or personal preference as "igotjam" indicated. Thanks for the kudos about our customer service by the way.
For the record - the crack in the wall at the bedroom slide tells me that you have an early Landmark which did not have the seam. We did our best in the beginning to avoid the traditional 5th wheel "seam" - by adding all kinds of structure in that area in an attempt to prevent flexing. Turns out that it is not usually a structural issue, but one of the hydraulic slide room pushing out from the inside, which over time causes the stress in that area of the wall (the small one foot are between the exterior cargo storage and the bedrood slide cutout). Thus, we relented and began installing the seam on all coaches. When the repair is complete, you will not be able to see where it was, and the seam will allow enough flex as to not crack the glass again.
Regarding dealers not carrying the Landmark - that decision is more reflection of the market than the coach - as a good number of dealers are getting out of the high-end RV business because the sales just haven't been there. In fact, there are some quality dealers who have been around for a long time who carried only high-end stuff that are closing their doors.
FYI
ST

Cheryl

Yes, we do have an early model. We have used it 2 summers (3 weeks each) and a few weekend trips, the rest of the time it is stored in our garage. It hasn't seen very much use. We aren't able to retire just yet!

The problem is in getting the repair. Where do we take it? We haven't received much help from Randy, although he did leave a message to call him today. I called back around 3:30 eastern standard time, got his voice mail, left a message and haven't heard back. I get home from work by 3:30 EST everyday. Would sure appreciate a call after that to find out where we can take it. Keep in mind that we live about 30 minutes west of Pittsburgh, PA, not convenient to Indiana.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Before we purchased our Mt. Rushmore, we looked at everything,and I do mean everything, we drove alot of miles,took alot of notes and pictures,and made a HR Presidential salesman rather mad when we did not buy from him. Although I have never seen the inside of the Mobile Suites, my wife has,and she loved it. But when she say the price tag, that somewhat changed her mind. Now, I am not saying that" we settled for", because we did not. The Landmark was much less expensive and is a very beautiful coach.It has all the bells and whistles that you would want and is very comfortable. Yes we have had some problems,but I would say that you would find problems of some kind with the MS.And is my wife happy? YES! And you know what they say about mama being happy. She is very happy.Would we buy Landmark again. YES! Our dealers service dept. is very good and keep us informed about our coach whenever we take it in for service. Now if I could just learn to back.

BluegrassMan

Hey Cheryl:
In my area, the RV Dealer (Keystone) does NOT repair the fiberglass problems on their Motorhomes, Trailers. There is a local auto "Restorer" company that does all their fiberglass needs. At least they used to a while back; You can't ever see the repairs, even on colored gel-coat.
Check in your area, if Heartland "OK's" the repair; they can pay the party that fixes it. I'm only assuming that this would be in Heartland's best interest in customer service for "YOUR" area and needs.

Cheryl

Thanks Bluegrassman, I talked with Randy today. He has asked that I email him a list of our problems and our address so that he can set up something "close" to us. Hopefully we can get it somewhere, get it fixed and then put back in the garage before any bad weather hits. My "baby" has never seen snow!

jpmorgan37

Cheryl;

A few years ago, I had an unfortunate encounter with a tree limb. I went to a body shop that specialized in Corvette repairs. I couldn't tell where they repaired it and it lasted for several years before I sold it. Never could see any sign of the repair.

John

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Cheryl
Just so you don't feel alone on this one, I to have the crack in the fiberglas by the bedroom slide. I have had it repaired twice, and the last time it recrack before I got it home from the shop, about 100 miles. I am working on trying to get them to redo it. Will let you know if and when that happens. Scott wanted me to stick around Elkhart last year and have it fixed at the factory but I had to be out to B.C. Canada and could not wait. Now I wish I had.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
hi Cheryl
I am going through the cracked fiberglass thing. It has been there since day 1 and the dealer is getting around to it now.?? Heartland said to get a fiberglass man to do it, the dealers fg man would not gaurentee the job. Some words where passed back and forth. I am calling the dealer on Monday afternoon to find out about the fix. I will let you know.
Rand

Cheryl

Rand,
I actually don't know how long our crack has been there. It was not there last October when we put it away for the winter in the garage. When we got it out this past summer, we saw it. During the storage months, that side is close to the garage wall so you can't see it. We contacted Heartland about it immediately, but we were leaving for vacation in 3 days. I emailed Randy pictures, he called and said to let him know when we returned and he would make arrangements for us to get it fixed. Nelson contacted him on the 13th. We are still waiting for him to find a place for us to take it. I sent him a list of problems on friday (it was close to 4:00pm est, so he may have been gone for the day) but haven't heard yet. I'm going to resend the pictures so hopefully we will hear from him Monday. I will continue to let everyone know how it goes.

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Hi Cheryl
The first dealer just patched the crack and painted it. It lasted about 10 miles. The second dealer was suppose to have done what the factory suggested, which was some sort of brace and a patch and repaint. This lasted the trip home from the shop, about 100 miles, than cracked again on a trip to Atlanta, which is about 280 miles from my home. Still have not heard what he intends to do about the problem. I will try and keep you informed.

ke4d

Landmark from the sales perspective

Libby and I worked for a dealer in FL who sold Landmarks early on. We sold a number of them while working there.
We have been fulltimers for 8 years and like our 99 diesel pusher. However, our lifestyle has changed a lot since we first hit the road in 99. We now stay in one location for several months and sometimes longer. I work part time as a reservist for FEMA so when I get deployed, it usually lasts 60 days or sometimes longer.
A fifth wheel would seem to fit our current lifestyle better than a motorhome and our first choice at this point would be a Landmark. Price, quality, service all figure into our decision and having sold fifth wheels from Teton, Travel Supreme, Alfa and Heartland, we feel the Landmark is the best price performer. We have met several of the founders of Heartland and we think these guys are first rate.
Just my humble opinion as a fulltimer and former sales weasel.

Princess Kathleen

We too, did a good deal of looking, researching, and rv show hopping....I also like the Mobile Suites, but it sure had a good deal of step ups....a high step up in the shower and then step up by the bed....getting older the ole knees don't bend as well as they us to...that seemed like a lot of steps...
Besides the Heartland company is a great company to work with they really STAND BEHIND, BESIDES AND ALL AROUND product.

PK