Stinky A/C

azbound

I have been a member for years and it seems lately I am complaining about everything. Today the front A/C unit started blowing out the terrible odor, almost like something died in it. Has anyone else experienced the problem?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Our main A/C has been smelling musty lately. After it runs a few minutes, it goes away. Other than that, no. No dead critter smell.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Could be that your AC is pulling in some sewer gas from your vent pipe.
Could also be that something has actually died up there. Have you looked around?
Just a couple of thoughts.
Let us know what you find out.

Peace
Dave

noobee

I don't know if this will work: a number of years ago I was getting a musty smell from my vehicle's AC. Purchased a spray that was sprayed into the exterior air intake vents and the problem went away for another year. The spray was more than an air freshener as it had properties that killed mold.
Might be worth trying on your unit.

CS

SmokeyBare

If your willing and able enough, climb up top to look things over. I'd take the cover off and see how things look. Remember the fan up top blows air through the coils. Those coils do get dirty and should be cleaned. Check to make sure the condensate water is draining out of the unit.

A search on U-Tube Video's will give you a guide as to how this is done.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIp4nym7UYw

Marv

trvlrerik

You might make sure your condensation lines are not plugged or leaking into the a/c unit. I have seen several SOB units with this problem this summer and the inside of the a/c unit looked like a bacteria factory and caused a terrible smell also.

whodoc

I had the same "smell",, bought new 2009 Bighorn 3410re and had the dealer install the front A/C, after using it for awhile and not being able to find the source of the odor, I took the A/C inside the bedroom cover off and discovered that the unit was drawing air from the attic, it was not sealed correctly, after sealing the inside I climbed onto the roof and discovered that the vent pipes were not high enough and were not caulked either, allowing the bedroom A/C to draw vent odor into the attic and then through the A/C into the bedroom, after these two fixes no more odor,
Mark