Thoughts on America

olcoon

This is from a CD by Charlie Douglas. In case you've never heard of him, he used to be a DJ on an all night trucking radio show, on WWL & WSM radio stations. He recorded an album way back when with humorus stories, kind of like Jerry Clower. This was at the end of the album.

“The pride of being a Southerner is an awesome and tangible thing to me, and my pride in being an American is equally as vast. As I love this land, and I was blessed with being born here. This is the land that God saw fit to allow us to use. It was born in the pain of revolution , and my personal pride swells a little more when I realize that I have ancestors from that war buried in this land. This land that was forged into one by that awful crucible of the Civil War. America, that very word holds a promise of hope to millions of people the world over. It’s the sound of the march of people who are doing good, the winds of grand achievement never dreamed of by those who suffered in the midwifery at Valley Forge, and Gettysburg, and I love, and have pride and great faith in this land that we call America. And if you share my fascination and my awe, and respect, and love for America. Then I hold my hand to you, and I call you Brother. If not, then I call you a fool, and I call you ignorant, and pitiful, and I do not call you an American.

Problems are here of course. We’re not perfect, our land will never be. But it is our land, and we helped build it, and never will I turn my back to this Country, and seek to destroy her. While rushing around and telling everyone I’m trying to improve her. Americans will answer whatever call is sounded, and the question is: ‘When our land calls, will you answer, will you care for her?’.

Charlie Douglas, entertainer

Check out this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxU3K7rGJXU&feature=related

Last edited: