Hankook Tires?

ChopperBill

Sound Chinese and never considered them. While pricing Michelin XPS Ribs at a local high volume dealer he asked what I wanted them for. Told him to replace the Load Stars on the BH. He said save a couple of hundred bucks and get a better tire, Hankooks. Kind of floored me until he gave me details. They sell them to most all truckers who don't want tire trouble. MADE by Michelin! One of the few ALL steel belted tires. 14 ply! He said there is no way I would have any tire trouble on my Fifth Wheel. They are 750R16 and will be about an inch bigger than my OEM tires. Probably will have to eBay my Bal-Chocks. Asked it he would take my barely used tires in trade. Just laughed! Said the were only good enough to get a trailer out of the factory and he wouldn't sell them to anyone.

Trap

Nothing like spending 40+k on a unit that comes with cheap tires. I'd gladly pay the extra 2-3 hundred for quality rubber than buy after and toss out the junk tires.

Trap

mg hersh

tires

hello, I just spoke with my cousin who is in the tire business, hancock is a 3rd line tire line(cheap) and is made by michelin and also by bridgestone. he said to stay away from them, and put michelins or bridgestones on it. also 750r16 is a tube tire, stay away from it, and it is in the process of being phased out. the michelins are tubeless.hope this helps

monte

ChopperBill

Guess I have to ask, not being a tire expert, what is the difference between tires that make one a tubeless and one a tube tire? And if it is a third line tire, why would Michelin and Bridgestone compromise their reputation with a poor tire? Seems like Bridgestone (Firestone) has had a bad enough rap. Like I say just need to know why as I am not a tire guy.

ct0218

Bill, I thought the Hankook was a Korean tire, not a Mich or BS. Also, I prefer metal valve stems, esp. if it is an aluminum wheel. With a tube you're stuck with a rubber valve stem that is part of the tube (vulcanized to it). Hankook is a good value, but it is not in the same league as the XPS. The Hankook would probably work OK, definitely better than what you have, but they are cheaper though not as well made as Mich.

ct0218

There are hundreds and hundreds of tire manufacturers in China, and that could be a private label from one of them. I tried researching through some Chinese directories and could not come up with anything, which leads me to believe that they are junk. There are some good, reputable companies out there and Hankook (Korean) seems to be one of them, but still not up there with the big boys yet. Jing Lun would be a step down from what came on the 5er. I wouldn't put them on if they were free, esp. considering the damage that a blowout can do. And who would warrant the tire? Certainly not the seller on Ebay.

ChopperBill

OK. Made up my mind! Michelin XPS RB 245/75/16. The Hankocks and the 235/85 Michelin's are 1 inch bigger in diameter. My Bal-Chocks barley fit between the tires at 2 1/2 inches. Bigger tires would make it 1 1/2 inch between the tires. Although I could ditch the Bal-Chocks (which would break my heart!) the 1 1/2 is just too close for comfort. Have a $50 rebate form from Michelin so now all I have to do is get the best price from a participating dealer.