Turn Off Refrigerator Fan-2011 BH3670

Wharton

We have a fan in the back of our refrigerator(external to coach). It apparently blows air over the coils. It is a 12v fan and we cannot find the switch to turn it off. We would like to turn it off when we boondock to conserve electricity. Where is the switch?

If there is no switch and we get a wiring diagram so we know where to put a switch.

Thanks

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Sue & Tom, there is no switch but the fan is controlled by a thermal switch I think. It uses very little voltage in fact I think it's measured in watts and it's minimal. If you really want to conserve your 12 volt supply, make sure the ambient control and climate control are both off. On my rig, these are in the upper frame of the freezer door. Ours is an NDR1062. Use only lighting in the coach as needed. The fans blowing over the coils on the fridge are needed for optimal operation and temperature in the fridge, I wouldn't consider turning them off.

Wharton

AH! Didn't realize it was a thermal fan. We camp in the fall/winter and feel we don't need the fan. Generally try to minimize electricity usage all around.

Thanks for the input.

Rickhansen

Sue and Tom,
I support Ray's comments. There is only a thermal switch located on the far right upper fins. You could put a switch in to disable the 12V fan, but the power savings is next to none. The logic circuit board for fridge uses far more than the fan. If you disable the fan your refrigerators cooling capacity would be reduced, and you could potentially damage the cooling system due to abnormal temperatures and pressures.

K

karykatz

Sue and Tom,

There is not a switch to turn off. This fan is needed to cool properly. It is not recommend to alter.

Thanks for your questions.

jpajax

I also have a fan in the back found that I had the opposite problem mine didn't.t work . Traced the wiring here the fuse that works the fan. So if you don't want it to work just remove this 1amp. fuse.

Attachments

• 0623101550a.jpg
    0623101550a.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 48

Ray LeTourneau

I also have a fan in the back found that I had the opposite problem mine didn't.t work . Traced the wiring here the fuse that works the fan. So if you don't want it to work just remove this 1amp. fuse.
As recommended by the factory, I wouldn't turn off those fans by removing the fuse. It may do more harm than good for the amount of 12 volt juice you would save.

Wharton

This is actually the first refrigerator we have had that had a fan behind it. We have had 4 trailers previously and none have had a fan, new experience.

Ray LeTourneau

This is actually the first refrigerator we have had that had a fan behind it. We have had 4 trailers previously and none have had a fan, new experience.
We too have had several other rigs and to be honest, I don't know if they had fans or not. In fact, I didn't know this fridge had a fan till I looked with a mirror and saw it up there. That was after I'd had the rig for over a year and had read about it in a few posts here on the forum. In fact, this fridge has 2 fans. I'm sure they're there for a reason. I often wonder what the difference is between Norcold and Dometic RV reefers. It would be interesting to know.

jimtoo

Ray and others, it looks like from the previous threads that any refrigerator that is mounted in a slide will have a fan to help move the air across the back to get ride of the heat. Since the slide cannot have a roof vent, they install fans to help move the air up and out the upper vent on the side of the slide.

Jim M

jnbhobe

Jim is right, its on a disc switch mounted of the back of the fridge. I just helped change one a couple of weeks ago.

Ray LeTourneau

Ray and others, it looks like from the previous threads that any refrigerator that is mounted in a slide will have a fan to help move the air across the back to get ride of the heat. Since the slide cannot have a roof vent, they install fans to help move the air up and out the upper vent on the side of the slide.

Jim M
Jim, I'm pretty sure we all know the reasoning and this has even been discussed many times on our forum. I think what we (me for sure) are wondering now is when did Dometic start using fans to move the air across the coils. As Wharton has mentioned, he's had rv's before but the reefers didn't have fans. I also have had several and really don't know if they had fans or not. The other curiosity, does Norcold use the same method or cooling unit in their reefers.

MC9

My fan only came on about twice all winter in Tucson,AZ. The kitchen slide faces the E. on our site. I took a fan out of an old computer in case it needed more air, didn't have to install it.

charlie51

I think it's common for any model with fridge in the slide. I went outside the other day and stuck my hand up to the top vent on the outside wall while the fan was running. It was actually pushing some pretty warm air out of the upper vent. My other trailer had the same fridge, but no fan because it had the big rectangle vent on the roof. You wouldn't think that little fan could do much, but it was pulling the air pretty good.

ChopperBill

We have the RM1350 4 door Refer and there are two fans at the top vent. Would be easy to just unplug them. Saw they were computer type fans so sure they dont take much juice. Only complaint I have is they make a whine when they are running which isnt that often even in out 70 degree mountain days.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Come to think of it, I don't recall ever hearing my refer fan running. It was in the low/mid 80's the other day and I got up there and looked at it. It was warm behind the freezer coils, but the fan was not moving. Fridge is operating fine, however.

RoadJunkie

I have the same exact behavior on my refer. I don't know if I've ever heard the fan go on, but the temp stays within one degree throughout the day. Outside temps around 90, but I'm parked in a fairly shady area with refer on the East side.

LilGTO71

I wish I had read this blog before taking my rig some 50 miles to a repair facility today along with the AC not working at all this past weekend. The noise (fans) blowing over the coils makes alot of sense. Thanks folks.