Major Mistake Was Made, Lesson Learned

We have a 3490RB - Our commode overflowed spilling onto the bathroom floor, to the carpet, and down into the lower compartment; and filled the heat vent/hose next to it.:eek: Sadly, we know how it happened (a huge faux pas:mad:). Spent a couple of hours in the dark cleaning everything out...

Thankfully, we weren't exactly level and the flow appeared to stay in the bedroom stairway area and below leaving puddles on the black tank. We removed some bolts to open the belly and raised the front -- gently hosed off the tank... Left everything open to dry.

We just love the fantastic fan - it allowed us to get a few hours sleep without getting fumigated - lol.

Now we need to know:
Is it possible to clean the carpet? :confused: Is there any under padding? :confused: Or, does the carpet need to be replaced?:confused:

Hoping for some favourable answers post haste (it is 90F today).
Thanks.

SmokeyBare

Re: Major Sewer Backup Problem - HELP!

Yes the Capet can be cleaned ! I've not found any padding under our BigHorn's carpet, pull up a floor heat vent and peek under the edge of the carpet on your Big Country and have a look see .

I would call in a Cleaning company. Service Master comes to mind. They have far different cleaning products that most of us can get our hands on.

I've not had this type of spill... YET ! But I've read others who have and have cleaned it up. Good Luck with your messy cleaning job.

Marv

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

This happened to friends of ours, while we were with them. We immediately purchased a Little Green Machine, which is a portable, hand held shampooer. We used it to simulateously clean the carpet and suck the water and dirt out of the carpet and padding, which there is little of under the carpet. It took several hours, cleaning it several times and then letting it dry good and then doing it again later.

This worked great...they've never had a problem with odor or staining. Don't let it set too long...get on it right away!!

jimtoo

So your saying you made a mistake??? Did you hook up the water to the blacktank flush? Or What... clue us in. Just wondering why you labeled it sewer back up problem.

Hubby hooked a y to the water supply and someone turned it on. So we had water and flushwater at the same time! Not recommended especially since we were sitting at another site around the campfire. It filled the tank and had nowhere else to go but up and out the commode!

Lesson learned - don't set up your flush hose in advance!

The problem is that my carpet is saturated and I'm not sure if we can clean it or not - it was caused by the sewer backing up...

Thanks Ken and Kathy -- that is our plan -- will go to Walmart tomorrow morning to get that machine (I have a large one which won't work).

jimtoo

OK,,, Yes the carpet can be cleaned as stated above. I would get a professional cleaning service.

The problem was caused by you or someone else not the sewer backing up,,, the black tank overfilled because of a mistake. It has happened before to others,,, you are not the first.

I am moving this out of the ATF forum and also changing the tittle of the thread because it was a mistake,,, not a sewer problem with the unit.

Jim M

No problem Jim - I had no intention of blame - it was a clear cut error on our part - I'm just so upset about the whole thing and to me it is a sewer backing up. Thanks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have made this mistake 3 times. Guess I am a slow learner. We cleaned our own carpet and mopped and disinfected the tile and bathroom area. We do have a Hoover carpet steamer at our sticks & bricks which we used and also a hand hoover carpet cleaner which we keep in the RV for our (my) stupid mistakes. DW was not have the 2nd time and was really ticked off the 3rd time. She said if it happened again, well I would rather not repeat what she said.:cool: Don't feel bad as like they say, "Sh.. happens". I even used to have a bumper sticker that said that.

Bobby A

I came close to doing the same thing, I took a red sharpie and colored the rubber boot that goes in where you connect the hose. So when I see red, I stop and think and make sure I have everything in order before I flush.

Last edited:

noobee

When I had a similar problem (my fault & I'm too embarrassed to say how I screwed up) I blew my converter when the water (it was fairly clean) leaked below the bathroom.

Been there, done that. Fortunately only once and no carpet involved. I had already flushed a couple times so it was reasonably clean water but still a bit stinky. I discovered it right away so it only went down the stool room vent. I pulled out the basement wall and removed the vent and hosed it out. If I were in your shoes, I would get a pro after the carpet. Much stronger equipment.

So, in this case, it was some "prankster" who caused the overflow, correct? Having a manifold and/or shut-off valves inside the UDC prevents this sort of thing, especially when we're off-site for extended periods.

I, too, would recommend using a restoration company rather than a DIY approach to clean up the sewage. Or you may find what you missed come a hot, humid day.

Reading this thread reminds us of why you don't turn the tank flush on without standing right there to be able to turn it off. It is so easy for an accident like this to happen......that's why they call us "human"! Sharing our mistakes with others, hopefully helps them from making the same error.

This has got me to thinking......maybe I need to try and find some type of "dead man" valve to install on the manifold in the UDC.......something that would only be open while you are holding it???????

Hope you get everything cleaned up without too much difficulty!

Travel Safe!

I have only used the tank flush once and it made a mess. What is the correct way to flush the tank? I didn't have this on my other trailer we just used a wond.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I have only used the tank flush once and it made a mess. What is the correct way to flush the tank? I didn't have this on my other trailer we just used a wond.

After the 3rd time I made a mess (see previous post) I decided to see how long it took to fill the tank. First I emptied the tank and then I filled the toilet to the top. I emptied and then refilled, emptied etc until I got the tank full. It took 42 toliets full. It will take about 25 minutes of continuous flow (depending on the water pressure). So I know now I can let it run 10 minutes safely. When the black tank starts burping (an air bubble causes water to pop up the when you flush) it is almost full to the top and time to empty. Once you drain the black tank then drain the Kitchen (galley) gray and then the bathroom gray. The bathroom gray is last as the soap in it helps to clean the lines of any feces, toilet paper, food particles or any other debris. BTW while I am draining the black tank I turn on the tank flusher to help clean it also. Following the tank cleaning I will close them all and leave about 1-2 gallons in each tank so they don't sit there dry. Have fun ..