slide out floors

:mad: :mad: DW and I went to area dealer this past weekend in northern neengland. The dealer had 3 new models on the lot 3600,3500 and a early model 3400 which we were very interested in. Walked and talked with the w salesperson for about hour, He then left so DW and I could talk and look some more. While inspecting the slides I noticed that the bottom of the slidefloor outside were coming a part. The plywood was seperating very badly from water damage. You could actually count the different layers of the plywood seperating up to a quarter inch space in some places. We went and checked the rest of slides and low and behold seperating plywood on all the slide floors on the exterior of the 5ver...and not just the 3400 but on all 3 models. We had made up our minds to purchase the 3400 long before we left on our 3 hour drive. Interior was great . BUT the water damage on the outside is inexcusable? when spending that much money. I know thw damage can be repaired, BUT where is the water coming from and what other hidden damage has the water done. Very diappointed.....

K

Ken Washington

travelnutz52,
Our's had that problem and between Heartland and Bill Plemmons it was fixed. They did a real good job so I would not let this problem stop me from buying the unit!
Ken

Scott

There was a time when we got a bad batch of Lami-Plast slide-out floors, where the plastic coating was not mixed properly and thus, deteriorated. When we have found these, the Lami-Plast company actually pays for Heartland or our dealer to repair them. These plastic coated floors can also be torn up by rooms that need adjusted, or by screws heads that can work their way up a little in the slide-out opening. If we had to do it all over again, we probably would have just gone with the same slide-out floor as most of our competition and that is just a plywood with a black darco wrap, or a painted black bottom side. We went with the plastic "dippped" stuff - which cost more - but which looks terrible when it rubs the coating off (or if you get a batch of bad coating like we did at one point).
The repair is fairly simple and if you would call me with the name of the dealer, I can make sure we get those floor repaired.
Just to touch base - in terms of the "where the water is coming from.." units that sit on sales lots with the slide-outs open all the time are going to have exterior edges of the slide-out floors which are going to receive a lot of exposure, as they are exposed to the elements, and the room seals are designed to make the water flow down as well. Combine that with the fact that the plastic coating had been compromised, and that's why there was a situation of swelling in the plywood. We will get it fixed asap.

ST

I would like to thank Scott for his timely replies to my statement. It's reassuring that the factory is very concerned about their product.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I have an area on the bottom of my Off door side slide out that the coating is gone and the plywood is being chewed up. Took my unit to Bill Plemmons,they checked it out and found that the roller on the underside of the slide out had a bearing. It has been ordered and we are waiting for the part to get here. Service said that it would be about a day and a half job. I sure will be glad to get our Mt. Rushmore back home. The back yard looks empty without it.

Ken, we were in the Winston area today and stopped at BP to take a look at the patio awning they put on our slide-out. While we did not see the awning extended,It looks really nice. as well as the heat pump,ac in the bedroom. They did a really neat,professional job. I think we will be well satisfied with the job.

K

Ken Washington

Terry,
Sue and myself sure want to see a picture when you get it home and have a chance to take one. One of these days we will run into each other at Ocean Lakes. Thinking about putting my Grand Canyon to bed for the winter-we are expecting a new grandson in about a month!

Ken

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Ken, Just as soon as we get it home we will take a picture and post it. I was told on Friday the parts should be here this week to complete the repair. I hope so. Hope your grandson gets here safe to. Have a blessed Sunday

Goldenwingers

goldenwingers
Scott said:
There was a time when we got a bad batch of Lami-Plast slide-out floors, where the plastic coating was not mixed properly and thus, deteriorated. When we have found these, the Lami-Plast company actually pays for Heartland or our dealer to repair them. These plastic coated floors can also be torn up by rooms that need adjusted, or by screws heads that can work their way up a little in the slide-out opening. If we had to do it all over again, we probably would have just gone with the same slide-out floor as most of our competition and that is just a plywood with a black darco wrap, or a painted black bottom side. We went with the plastic "dippped" stuff - which cost more - but which looks terrible when it rubs the coating off (or if you get a batch of bad coating like we did at one point).
The repair is fairly simple and if you would call me with the name of the dealer, I can make sure we get those floor repaired.
Just to touch base - in terms of the "where the water is coming from.." units that sit on sales lots with the slide-outs open all the time are going to have exterior edges of the slide-out floors which are going to receive a lot of exposure, as they are exposed to the elements, and the room seals are designed to make the water flow down as well. Combine that with the fact that the plastic coating had been compromised, and that's why there was a situation of swelling in the plywood. We will get it fixed asap.

ST

Scott, we are looking at the Big Horn 3600 or Landmark Grand Canyon for long term retirement travel, or posibly full-timing. Would you then say that the slides on these products would not hold up to this type of use since they will be extended the vast majority of their life?

TIA, Sheri