F350 Upgrades

Bighurt

We have a 2008 F350 Long bed Crew Cab with the 6.4L.

After a few trips this year we are ready for a long trip this September to my parents place in California.

With the potential trip I'm considering a few upgrades tot he tow rig.

First I've been eyeballing Transfer flow Inc, 60 gallon replacement midship tank at a substantially cheaper cost than Titan it's tempting.

I am also considering Firestone Ride-rite bags and in cab control system with the tank and 25' hose for tire fills.

My thoughts are get farther on a single fill 9 mpg and a stock tank means 250 miles between stops. As well as the ability to help the rear ride as well as having the ability to fill tires without disconnecting the fiver.

My concerns are;

Is the $900 worth doubling my fuel stop distance?

Does the Heavy duty air compressor have the ability to fill additional items like inflatable lake toys, air mattress, etc. Without burning out/overworking the unit?

I was considering adding a toolbox fuel tank combo, but like the idea of a larger stock tank. I could do both however the added weight of the larger tank, plus the toolbox/tank weight and additional fuel would come close to my payload cap of 3221.

I would appreciate any thoughts?

I am planning a Programmer/exhaust/intake/dpf delete setup in the future but the cost is a little too high to do everything.

I also have to worry about cold climates...-36°F is 6 months away.

Dave012

I put in the 50 gallon Transfer Flow in, and my wife says its the best decision I've made. It has the Trax II system so I know exactly what is in each of the tanks, and I bought the 50 so it would fit underneath my cover. Like it because I don't have to worry about finding a station I can fit into while towing on most of our trips.

DSCF3513.jpg

I also put on the firestone air-bags. Honestly there is a bit of difference in the ride, but not enough on this version of F-350 to make it worthwhile, and not for this trailer.

I do have an onboard air system from Viair which has a tank as well as a gauge and switch in the truck. Haven't had to use it alot except on the air bags, but it works great. Don't have it set up to fill the airbags directly, but may consider this in the future. Have the compressor and tank mounted on the frame rail. It takes my truck tire from 65 psi to 80 psi in about 15 seconds. I have a quickconnect in the bed of the truck. The system is overkill, but will blow up tires and toys in no time. Couldn't fine any details on the firestone compressor or tank system capabilities, and therefore went with Viair.

DSCF3518.jpg DSCF3519.jpg DSCF3521.jpg

Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Dave,
I agree 100% with you on the Viair compressor. I use it quite regular on the dump trailer tires. One of the best investments I have made for the truck.

Trade the Ford for a Dodge and it'll go as far on the stock factory tank as a Ford with a 60 gallon tank:angel:

Best upgrade I ever did to my Ford dually;)

OK so you didn't want to hear that upgrade so here goes.

Airbags are worth every penny. Much better ride and better handeling. Great choice.

Aux fuel tank was worth every penny filling on every 2 - 3 days when traveling long distances instead of stopping 2 - 3 times a day to fill up. I run a 92 gallon RDS tank from Northern Tool + the stock 35 gallon tank giving me a range of 1500 - 1700 miles towing my fifth wheel and over 2500 miles when running empty.. I get 14 - 15 mpg towing and 22 - 23 empty with my '04.5 Dodge.

VIAIR compressors are good compressors.

Bighurt

Thanks for the tips...

I probably won't ever own a Dodge or another Chevy...as much problems I've had with my truck, I still like it more than the other two. I will own a Cummins when I finally get that M920 or M818...LOL

It's actually more cost effective to have the in bed tank. How easy is it to install and remove? As a contractor I use my bed....a lot!

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Thanks for the tips...

It's actually more cost effective to have the in bed tank. How easy is it to install and remove? As a contractor I use my bed....a lot!

These tanks are bolted into the bed, They're not designed to be swapped in and out. If you go with an auxilary tank it is plumbed into the trucks fuel system. If you use a transfer tank you need an electric or hand operated fuel pump and nozzle, these are used to pump fuel out of the tank to equipment on the farm or job site. the transfer tank is easiest to take out without plumbing into the trucks fuel system but you still have to fill your trucks stock tank 2 - 3 times a day if you run this way.

If you have a long bed a tool and fuel combo tank might be best for you. You still keep the bed space of a short bed and gain a small toolbox on top of the tank.

Like these.

With these RDS auxilary tanks you need the installation kit Here

Takes about 1 - 2 hrs to install.

Now on a Ford you can't just turn on the valve and ride down the road. It will set a trouble code when the fuel gauge never moves off empty. You can use an inexpensive electric pump so when you are in a rest area, flip the switch on and watch your fuel gauge when you top up the factory tank doesn't take long. Don't flip it on and walk away or you will have a big fuel spill. Just leaving it on as gravity feed takes way too long though the 5/16" valve that comes with the kit.

Buy a Dodge:p

Bighurt

These tanks are bolted into the bed, They're not designed to be swapped in and out. If you go with an auxilary tank it is plumbed into the trucks fuel system. If you use a transfer tank you need an electric or hand operated fuel pump and nozzle, these are used to pump fuel out of the tank to equipment on the farm or job site. the transfer tank is easiest to take out without plumbing into the trucks fuel system but you still have to fill your trucks stock tank 2 - 3 times a day if you run this way.

Yes, I'm familiar with how they were attached. I was thinking I could install some threaded inserts below the bed than the tank could just be unbolted or bolted in. As for wiring and hose, threaded bulk head connections and disconnects could work. I'm not sure how complex the pump set up is (in regards to wires).

If you have a long bed a tool and fuel combo tank might be best for you. You still keep the bed space of a short bed and gain a small toolbox on top of the tank.

I do, and have considered them, but I like carrying ply and drywall with the gate up.

Now on a Ford you can't just turn on the valve and ride down the road. It will set a trouble code when the fuel gauge never moves off empty. You can use an inexpensive electric pump so when you are in a rest area, flip the switch on and watch your fuel gauge when you top up the factory tank doesn't take long. Don't flip it on and walk away or you will have a big fuel spill. Just leaving it on as gravity feed takes way too long though the 5/16" valve that comes with the kit.

The eletronics with the transfer flow setup, accounts for this.

Buy a Dodge:p

Not going to happen...Sorry!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Just curious. Have any of you had trouble with your fuel getting stolen or is the filler nozzle locked somehow?

Dave012

I do, and have considered them, but I like carrying ply and drywall with the gate up.

For certain transfer flow tanks you can get a riser set up so the tank sits higher and you can slide plywood/drywall underneath. Not sure how much it raises it, or how much you need to carry.