RV camping near Charleston SC - preferably on the beach

DWH

My DW and I are looking to visit the Charleston SC area this fall. We are looking for campground recommendations. We don't mind a little travel and would like to stay on the beach if possible. Any suggestions appreciated. Thankyou.

Doug and Sue Hoeffner
2008 Chev 2500 D and A
2010 Landmark GC

beasleyrl

We have been in Charleston for the last 2 years over the Christmas/New Year holidays and had a great time! We absolutely love James Island Park and Campground. This is a county park about 10 minutes or so from downtown Charleston. It is very inexpensive and is part of the county park system. It has full hookups with 50 amp service and the sites are nicely spaced (for the most part). As you would expect for the area, the people are very friendly! If you are going, book early. They fill up far in advance but they do have a wait list.

http://www.ccprc.com/

mdavis

As I am typing this, I am sitting at the KOA in Mount Pleasant just outside of Charleston. Nice place, friendly staff, and off to itself. It is a 7 to 8 min. drive to the beach at Isle of Palms. That I know of, their aren't any beach front campgrounds in the area.
James island is really nice too.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
About 45 miles south of Charleston is Edisto Beach State Park which you can camp right on the beach. You will have to check available of the beach side campsites in that we go down every September and have to make reservations 11 months out but you can get sites pretty easily from October on. Like most state parks of SC, it only has 30 amps service and h20 - no sewer but has a dump station and pretty nice bathhouses.

Attachments

• DSCN1298.jpg
    DSCN1298.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
As mdavis said, there are no beach front campgrounds in Charleston. If you stay at James Island County Park, there is a nice county park on the beach for day use.
Closest on the beach camping from Charleston is Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort, Edisto State Park on Edisto Island and Huntington Beach State Park in Murrels Inslet. Then 4 private campgrounds in Myrtle Beach.
If you dont mind a little drive to the beach, there is Willow Tree in Longs, SC, That is getting pretty far away from Charleston though.
IMO, the nicest and closest to Charleston is either the KOA that was mentioned or James Island Cty. Park.

mntnman

Past Chapter Leader, SC and KY
we like both James island and the KOA.James Island has nice trails and a water park.

Elevatorman

Unfortunately the closest beach camping as SouthernNights said, is Edisto, or back north towards the Myrtle Beach area. James Island Park, (http://www.ccprc.com/index.aspx?nid=68) is a great great place if you can get a site, and is the closest to downtown Charleston. The beaches (Folly Beach) are about 7-8 miles to the south east. Or just north of Charleston, as Mdavis said, is Sullivan's Island and the Isle of Palms beaches. Both of those are closer to the KOA in Mt. Pleasant, (just north of Charleston off hwy.17). We will be stopping at Oak Plantation this fall on the way back from Disney. I've heard nothing but good things about their campground. That's about the pick in that area, thin pickings, but good places to stay.
Enjoy Charleston! It is a great town to visit! Don't miss the thieves market in downtown, and Patriots Point out near the bridge in Mt. Pleasant.

vangoes

We stayed at James Island Park and really enjoyed it. The sites are fairly large and most are pretty private; all in all, its a great little park. Although I will say, the roads into the park did make my blood pressure rise somewhat. It really looked as if there were many sizeable tree limbs overhanging the roads that couldn't be much higher than the 5ver; especially when you could see areas on the limbs where there was bark missing from something hitting. Maybe it was just me being paranoid from crunching my AC in our previous Motorhome, but, man did they ever look low. I'm curious if anyone else felt that way?