Looked at new 186

brains77396

The wife and I finally got a day off together and went down to our local dealer to put the eyeball on a MPG 186 (183). We spent all of 1 minute in the thing as it was unbearably hot in the camper. We had called the salesman before leaving home telling him we were coming to visit. He didn't open the windows before hand or offer to while we were there. While there, we also looked at the Heartland Edge and a 18 foot Puma that the dealership sold. Even after telling him three times we wanted something light to pull with our V-6 Nissan Frontier, he kept trying to sell us the Puma which came in at 4500 lbs compared to the MPG's 2700. If we planned to go somewhere and sit for a week or two, heaver might work out, but we want to travel and fuel wise, lighter is cheaper. My theory is that if a dealer won't listen to you before the sale, what chance do I have after the sale. The one bright spot in all of this we liked the MPG, at least for the short amount of time we could stay in it.

MPG185-GA

Good luck on the decision.....we had a really great experience at the local dealership. They were very helpful and we were very comfortable. We are still outfitting the 185 and hope to make the maiden voyage in the next couple of weeks. I can relate to the heat...it has been miserable and we have put the MPG A/C to the test......so far so good.

M

Mcreech

What dealer were you at? I can tell you that one saleman doesn't always represent the dealership as a whole...........I will gladly give you a name of a saleman at that dealership that I trust or I could recommend a different dealership, if that is what you would like.....Please let me know

Mike Creech
Product Manager Edge - MPG

brains77396

Thank you for responding Mike. We were at Ron Hoover, Houston. The other thing I ask on the phone before driving down to look was if we could hook the unit to my truck to see how it set and looked. No Problem, come on down. That was not offered and by then I didn't bother to ask. Same thing happened at the R-Pod dealer. Since we were looking at a 186, one of the first models, would that not make it a 2010 year model? It is being listed as a 2011. I ask because we bought a new 2003 Class "C", according to Gulf Stream, but since the Ford part was a 2002 it was registered as a 2002. Needless to say when we sold it this March we lost a years worth of value. I make mistakes but I try not to make the same one twice in a row. I haven't found any other dealers here in the Houston area but have talked to a couple of discount dealers in Ohio. For $2700, I would make that drive every week. Any input would be helpful.

What dealer were you at? I can tell you that one saleman doesn't always represent the dealership as a whole...........I will gladly give you a name of a saleman at that dealership that I trust or I could recommend a different dealership, if that is what you would like.....Please let me know

Mike Creech
Product Manager Edge - MPG

M

Mcreech

Like i said before all saleman are not created equal.......I would call Explore USA in Sequin or San Antonio.....Ask for Paul or Gab at the Sequin store......That is if you don't want to go back to Ron Hoover.......Also, the MPG's are a 2011.....Trailers play by different rules then Motorhomes.......My personally opinion is I would give either Hoover or Explore a shot at earning your business before I would drive 3000 miles round trip for a trailer.......

jimtoo

Hi brains77396,

I really have to agree with Mcreech.... the guys at ExploreUSA in Seguin are great to deal with. You will not have a problem with them, Ben Notgrass (gen manager) is sharp and stays on top of everything happening at his store. It would most likely be to your advantage to make the little drive down IH 10. I think they have a couple in stock, you might give them a call, toll free, 866-813-2770. Let us know how things go.

Jim M

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Brains77396, please call Ron Hoover in Katy back and ask to speak with Ray Diab, sales manager. He will see to it that you are treated properly. Hopefully you'll have your MPG by October and will be able to bring it to our rally in Spring. We'd love to meet you.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
As far as I know Ron Hoover in Houston is a stand up dealership. I personally have never dealt with them but they sure bent over backwards at the Houston Rally to show their dealership in a good light. If you have a bad experience don't go away, talk to a supervisor. They will straighten out the person who is not doing what they should.

brains77396

Been online with Ben Notgrass this morning. He offered me the MPG 183 for $??K. $800 more than in Ohio but I save the money it would take to go up there and back. So, overall, I guess it is not that bad a deal. And, a heck of a lot closer if I ever need service work. Also e-mailed my home town dealer, Ron Hoover, but no reply on that yet. We have been to Rayford Crossing a couple of times. Wow, what a great place. Always something going on and they really make the kids feel welcome.

Hi brains77396,

I really have to agree with Mcreech.... the guys at ExploreUSA in Seguin are great to deal with. You will not have a problem with them, Ben Notgrass (gen manager) is sharp and stays on top of everything happening at his store. It would most likely be to your advantage to make the little drive down IH 10. I think they have a couple in stock, you might give them a call, toll free, 866-813-2770. Let us know how things go.

Jim M

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Been online with Ben Notgrass this morning. He offered me the MPG 183 for $??K. $800 more than in Ohio but I save the money it would take to go up there and back. So, overall, I guess it is not that bad a deal. And, a heck of a lot closer if I ever need service work. Also e-mailed my home town dealer, Ron Hoover, but no reply on that yet. We have been to Rayford Crossing a couple of times. Wow, what a great place. Always something going on and they really make the kids feel welcome.

I have had nothing but good service from their service department.

Jim M

Last edited by a moderator: