Costs for repacking wheel bearings - ideas?

jbeletti

My unit is in the shop and while it's there, I figured I'd have them repack the wheel bearings (4). We've had the unit 2 seasons and I have yet to do this so I figured now was a good time to have it done.

Anyway, the quote I am getting is about $300. Seems high to me but I have never paid to have it done before so I thought I'd check with all y'all on the forum to see if this is in the ball park.

Thanks,

Jim

L'l John

Whew, sounds like a lot to me. Let's see, that would be 4 hours labor at $72.00 per hour, plus $12.00 for grease.
Should be able to do it in less than 2 hours!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim,
I had the wheel bearings packed on my Mt. Rushmore at the beginning of camping season this year. We have a very good,rv repair man here locally, and he repacked my wheel bearings,checked the brake shoes, and of course adjusted them for $135.00. I was expecting at least $200.00. I like those kind of surprises. He told me that for the kind of traveling I do, weekends mostly, that I could have them packed about every other year,and that I could use the grease fitting in the in between year.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
Sounds like Jim's shop charges like the one in my area. I did my last 5ver (six wheels) It really doesn't take all that long VS the $$$ involved. I'd do them all day long @ $300. Then I'd be living in a much better neighborhood,ha ha. Seriously, the hardest part is removing the rear seal in the brake drum to get to the back bearing, then re-installing a new one. That is the only "parts" to buy, that along with grease. The "ART" of hand packing is a different story. Check with some "Oldtimers", they used to do all this stuff to save money. That is why I do it, plus "I" know it is done correctly and not a hack job.

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I have repacked all the bearings on my trailers. Yes you do get greasey hands, but it keeps $300 in my jeans. As BGM says I would do it all day long for $300. Should be able to do 2 or 3 a day. Come on over Jim. hihi

ct0218

Jim, I thought your 5er had the Dexter Neverlube axles. It is my understanding that this is a sealed cartridge system that cannot be repacked, only replaced when dried out (from non-use) or contaminated. I don't have access to any manuals right now, but how can they be repacked?

ct0218

Oh, OK! I'm happy with the NeverLube axles, and all but a few that have them (that I've talked to) have never had a problem after thousands of miles. BUT, if they dry out or are damaged in some way I understand that when they go out, then so does that part of the axle. Then it is more than just a cartridge--its the whole axle. Never priced the cartridges but they're likely very pricey.

Dusty

Jim,

I asked about having the wheels on my Bighorn 3500RL packed today and the quote was $360. Count your blessings.

Dusty

jbeletti

OK - not too many data points:

$300
$135
$360

That's an average of $265. Too few data points to draw a good conclusion.

That said, I gave the approval this morning. I was told that they will be pulling it all apart, cleaning it all out, inspecting the bearings etc., then re-assembly/hand-packing. They will also be inspecting/adjusting the brakes.

Thanks everyone for the quick input.

Jim

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Hi Jim
I have never paid to have my bearings repacked, it is to easy to do myself and I know that it is done, and right. If you plan on coming down to Tn. in the near future, bring the trailer. It will take about three hours, and that is because I can only lift one wheel at a time.
A quick note for those of us who have the ultra lube axles. These are the ones with the zert fittings on the end of the axles to put grease on the bearings, be very careful when you or someone else does this. I learned the hard way. It only takes about one squirt of grease, more than that and you push the grease out the rear seal. This in turn gets grease on the brake linings, and you know what that means, NO BRAKES!!!!!!! New linings, new seals and cleaning the brake drums and all other parts, $ 150.00. This did not include labor. since I did the work.