Rubber stems or metal stems? Safety question.

arisce

Thare is a debate going on in another forum about stems: rubber vs metal. I checked my stems of my dually and Big Horn and they have all rubber stems. Should I worry? Should I change to metal immediately? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks!

jpmorgan37

William;
I definately would go to the metal stems. Previous experience with rubber stems on E rated tires and 80 psi was not good. Now with G rated tires and 110 psi, plus I'm using the Doran Pressure Pro, I don't worry about valve stem failure or leakage.
Regards,
John

ct0218

Tires use an ozone and sunlight resistant additive, but you can bet that the valve stems do not. I'm sure that they are just plain old rubber, cheaply made, just enough to get by. I've seen them bent over at severe angles by inappropriately mounted wheel covers and trim rings, and knocked around by brushes when the wheels are cleaned. Metals stems are just a little more money but will last a lot longer. Other than price, are there any negatives?

Last edited:

BluegrassMan

Hi ct0218:

I have had metal valve stems on my truck after changing the first set of tires. They will take much more pressure, when installing them make sure that they are tightened well, or the rubber seal will leak off air slowly. Make sure you buy the LONG ones too!