Landing legs--front

marina

I'm having a problem with my front landing gear--the off door side leg does not extend.The motor turns and the door side extends-the shaft turns to extend the off-door side but the leg does not extend--the bolt is in tack and the shaft turns into the drive gear--everything stops there.WHAT CAN BE WRONG?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
marina, It sounds as if your gearbox might have gone south. Your next steps should be to somehow get the rig to a authorized service facility for inspection. If you are mechanically inclined you could dig into it on your own and inspect and order repair parts. There are some forum members that have experienced these symptoms so you may get a few replies from them as well.

Last edited:

wdk450

Maybe it is just semantics, but I don't think that your gearbox (the sort of flat, plastic case attached to the motor) is bad since you say that the motor side leg works. Rather, from what you describe I think the problem is in the bevel gears and rollpins inside the non-driven leg. See the drawing on page 3 of this manual from Venture found on the Heartland Tools tab at the top of this page. They list a repair kit which includes all of the parts in Red. I think you want the 999-1 kit that includes the follow drive shaft, which should be the one on the non-motor side.
http://manuals.heartlandowners.org/Suspension/Jacks/Venture/Langing_Gear_Manual.pdf
I saw just the bevel gears on Amazon for $26, but they were listed for Atwood, not Venture, but I suspect they are all the same. An RV parts store might have the answer. The Lippert website has the complete kit for $56, but it is listed as the Lead drive shaft kit. You might also contact Dormar industries. I have spoken to them, and although their website doesn't list the repair kit, I bet they have it, and they are much cheaper on the complete leg kits. They say that the make leg kits for Venture. Here is their link:
http://www.domarproducts.com/index.html

Good Luck!

Last edited:
K

karykatz

It sounds like one of the gears in the landing gear has gone bad. Please contact Lippert Componets to see if they can get someone to help you out. thier customer service number is 866-524-7821

Last edited by a moderator:

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
"GEARBOX MAY HAVE GONE SOUTH"
Can someone help? I need to know the origin and meaning of the phrase "went South on me." Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Phrase that originated during the American Civil War. During the early stages of the war Army officers (that had graduated from West Point) had to decide if they were to stay in the Union Army (north) or if they were going to join the Confederate Army (south). If they chose to join with the Confederate side they were referred to as "going south". It was used as a phrase of derision by the Federals that the defecting officer had made a poor choice or performed a poor action.

Ray LeTourneau

Can someone help? I need to know the origin and meaning of the phrase "went South on me."

performed a poor action.
There you have it Kenny. Performed a poor action. I certainly don't use that phrase with the intention of it being a derogatory remark in any way towards our great folks that live in the south. ;-)

StevenJ

I think it srarted out as referring to being retired (stop working) and moving south for the better weather,
Can someone help? I need to know the origin and meaning of the phrase "went South on me." Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. Phrase that originated during the American Civil War. During the early stages of the war Army officers (that had graduated from West Point) had to decide if they were to stay in the Union Army (north) or if they were going to join the Confederate Army (south). If they chose to join with the Confederate side they were referred to as "going south". It was used as a phrase of derision by the Federals that the defecting officer had made a poor choice or performed a poor action.

Ray LeTourneau

Since the factory has responded to this thread I'll move it into a more appropriate area for the discussion of the landing gear. That would be Bighorn, Frame.