Mystery Leak

larneal

I need some help with this please. I have a leak in my basement but I can't find out where it's coming from. We get to the campground, I fill up with water, check my basement - no leaks. I check again maybe an hour later and there is a small puddle of water. I mop it up and it does not come back. I get home, take the basement wall down and can't get the darn thing to leak a drop. This has happened several times. What would leak just a little bit and stop? This is very frustrating and I appreciate any advice you can give.

Larry & Gail Neal
2009 BH 3385RL

I would use each water source for a length of time then wait an hr for a puddle, thus narrowing down the particular item that has the leak.

I have heard plenty of vent leaks and I myself had a leak in the outside shower. Sometimes only dedicated observation and elimination wil narrow down the source. Probably a bathroom fixture.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I know this sounds silly but, when you stored your water hose did you drain it and did you connect the ends togeather?

I had a similar problem some time ago and came to find out that the hose was the problem.

FWIW
BC

wdk450

I have seen it suggested on this forum that water from small leaks that cannot be seen on plumbing can be detected by running a single sheet of toilet paper over the plumbing.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I have seen it suggested on this forum that water from small leaks that cannot be seen on plumbing can be detected by running a single sheet of toilet paper over the plumbing.

That, or just slowly run the back of your fingers under all the plumbing lines until you find the source.

Rickhansen

Larneal, another possibility for you.
The penetrations in the UDC wall (where the water fill, city water inlet, dump valve handles, bypass valve handles, etc) are not sealed. If you have a leak or spray any water inside the UDC, it can end up leaking down the backside by the water heater, and ends up in the basement floor. Of course, there is always the water heater connections.

larneal

Hey I appreciate everyone's suggestions but I may have found my problem. Yesterday I filled my fresh water tank, turned my pump on, checked my plumbing - no leaks. Left and came back in about an hour and there was the puddle of water in the basement. I was able to trace it back to the water pump. It wasn't leaking then but I could tell it had been. Apparently the pump pressure pushed a little water out one of the connections and then sealed itself off. I took the connection loose and put some plumber tape on it and reconnected. I sure hope this will correct the problem because It sure has been frustrating.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Intermittent seepage leaks are the hardest ones to find. Gimme me a gusher, anytime...not! I'm finding that plumber's putty works a bit better than teflon tape at stopping thread leaks, though.

beardedone

Beardedone
When I was working on my plumbing I found the occasional clamp that I hadn't changed could be tightened up. That was the case with the water pump. It takes a lot of vibration and can easily leak a dribble or two. I tightened them one and put a low cost water sensing alarm there. The water sensor seems to have scared the leaks enough that I haven't had any issues since.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
We just got home from a three wek trip, just outside of townj we hoit a severe rain fall, when we got to the house our side of the city was dry when I backed up into the drivfe way I discovered a leak under the trailer just where the wire for the brake on the off door side come through the belly.

My observation
1. the system water presure was good the pump did nto come on
2. I cupped some of the water and did the siff test, no siff (not brave enough to taste)
3 before leaving Missoula I only put 1/3 tank of fresh water in for travel and one night boon docking., when we got home we have a little less than a thrid and that is after 2 days of flushing washing and showering. so I do not beleive my fresh water is leaking.
4. I think it might be road spray from the rain. More to come after our next trip in 2 weeks

lhetsler

Had a similar situation, turned out that I normally spill a little water in the UDC and it was getting under the walls. I resealed real good with caulk around the UDC and it stopped. Since you only have the water present once and it is soon after you fill it my guess is it is from the water you inevitably slosh around when filling up. As others have said the fill hose is notorious for leaking also. You may have to put some silicone on it then retighten the hose clamp.