Adjustable pin box?

davelinde

Believe it or not... I got a bigger truck and the hitch is actually lower than my old small truck! The rig now rides a few inches low in front. I took it on the highway for a quick test and it seems to tow fine this way -- but it would be handy to have the rig ride level.

I looked at the axles and they are already as low as they can go.
I looked at my hitch and it looks like I can do a few structural mods and raise it - though that's not really my first choice.

I thought I could lower the pinbox - but peaking inside I cannot see how I'd keep the same number of bolts if I adjust it. Are those pin boxes supposed to be adjustable? If so, how?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I think you should raise your hitch. With it riding low in the front you will have too much pin weight in your bed.

davelinde

just updated my sig. Pin weight is no longer an issue :) I can double it and still be good now!
Still I do want to ride level - eg so I'm level at lunch stops or overnights hitched up.

I can raise the hitch or lower the pin... should the pin adjust or is it expected the hitch must adjust (mine does NOT adjust easily btw... I'd need to remove it and fabricate some custom mounts to raise it...)

fljlcw

I have Afreightliner with the same problem havent done anything yet going to have to soon leaning towards A fabrication to raise the hitch Fred

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Dave, I haven't looked closely at anything other than my own pin which is a trail air. I had to move my trail air up a hole when I added the tri-glide. The box itself has multiple holes for vertical adjustment. About 2" increments. There should be enough extra holes in yours as well.

davelinde

I did see the extra holes on the frame and assumed the box could move up/down. But then when I peeked inside the box itself, it seems there is only one way for the two parts to connect and if I moved it down I would not be able to use the same number of bolts. I assume the number of bolts matters. I just have a stock Lippert box, no extra air stuff etc.

Maybe I could look into getting another pin? I'm not thinking an air box helps much as I've got an air hitch already.

Netem

I think another problem of not being level would be too much weight on the front axel. If your pin box is already on the lowest setting that may be why you won't have enough holes if you try to go lower.

davelinde

I think another problem of not being level would be too much weight on the front axel. If your pin box is already on the lowest setting that may be why you won't have enough holes if you try to go lower.

I towed with another rig that was about the same amount nose up and never had an issue. I've heard the weight shift theory... but trying to rough out calculations on this it would seem minor IF the suspension was rigid - in fact, the suspension has linkages that should do weight distribution?

My issue is that from what I see the pin box is at BOTH it's highest and lowest point... eg - although there are holes in the frame, the box itself only fits at one height...

davelinde

Dave,

Did you buy the Volvo already singled and ready for pulling your 5er.

Yes - I bought it ready to go. The guy who sold it spent the last 3 years setting it up, then decided to get a Class A instead. His FW had an extra 2-3" shock absorber thing under the pinbox - which is why he was level and I am nose down. The hitch on the truck is a Hensley. It has no adjustments, so I need to remove it, fabricate a spacer, then re-install it with longer bolts if I want to raise it.

FLOYD PHILBROOK

Nevada Chapter Leader
Dave, Hensley does make spacers for there hitches. I believe they are 2 and three inch spacers. I used the 2 inch on larryheadhunters hitch when i installed it. Floyd

davelinde

Dave, Hensley does make spacers for there hitches. I believe they are 2 and three inch spacers. I used the 2 inch on larryheadhunters hitch when i installed it. Floyd

GENIUS! That possibility never dawned on me. A quick google found it
http://www.trailersaver.com/airsuspensionhitches_ts3.php

at $130 for a spacer kit I am still inclined to fabricate something.... but if I can find a picture of their kit I can figure out how they engineered it first. (or maybe I'll just pay 'em)

lwmcguir

Some folks run there coaches with the Front way up in the air. The equalizers are already following that angle and you are loading the axles without proper weight distribution. When you go over a hump or a valley you transfer more load to one axle and tire. Keep the coach nearly level and you will be much better off as will your fridge.

davelinde

So on our shakedown trip I learned another reason to have the rig level... when you unhitch you are closer to level and not trying to lift the rig so much. Since I have more truck we decided to dry camp and carry a full tank of fresh water - I unhitched nose down and promptly blew two fuses trying to lift the rig to level - I finally gave up and hand cranked it.

So -- level is good, and now I'm doing forum searches on issues with the landing gear I've got. Not so happy 'bout that.