I am tired of all the nasty threads, so...

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Over the last few months there have been several very discouraging threads written. Here are a few of my random thoughts on these threads:

I guess I have to say I really don’t get it sometimes. I guess I am just not in touch with my inner feelings.
<O:p
While reading some posts, both here and on other forums not even RV related, it seems we have become a people who like to complain.
Keeping the subject strictly RV related here, I really don’t understand how even the smallest thing can make people so upset they feel the need to post their problems on a public forum where thousands of people can read it with so much venom written into the post a rattlesnake would go and hide.
It is very obvious that these are not written to educate anyone. And while some of them do not come straight out and bash anyone, behind the keyboard you know that is the intention.
If you are going to bash-then do it and get it out of your system, otherwise post your problem and see if someone has a solution.
RVers fall into two categories: those who have had problems and those who are going to have problems.
That’s it folks! Only two categories. It is not the problems that set us apart-it is how we deal with them. Post the problem, someone will have a solution and then go and fix it.
Don’t tell us that your XYZ is broken, the rig is 3 years old and you just can’t figure out how Heartland can get away with building such a product.
Think of it this way. We are pulling 6 or 7 tons-not pounds but TONS- down the road at almost 70 miles per hour. Most of the roads we are on are not very good. They are filled with potholes, cracks, seams and debris that are big enough to break your leg if you tripped over them and yet we expect our brand new truck and trailer to just sail gently over all of it.
Something eventually is going to break. And when it does I guess it is just easier to complain about it rather than understand how it happened and how to fix it. (And this is NOT referring to any spring problems someone my have had)
Come on folks, if you have a problem-post it with out all the short term angry emotions. Many of us can learn from it. Sometimes we might even be able to check our own rig and find the problem before it happens to us. There have been some very good threads started by owners that have saved some of us a lot of potential problems (NOW I am talking about springs). But making statements that include an underhand bash and dislike for the product does no one any good-except for the few who like to see people get stirred up

If you are so unhappy with your rig, sell it, trade it, burn it or do something with it. After all, it’s yours. You made the decision to buy it; you can make the decision to get rid of it.
And for Pete’s sake, don’t go comparing it to your 1978 Whathamacallit. No matter what brand you now have, it does not compare at all to the older trailers. When was the last time you saw a 1978 trailer wired for cable and satellite, had day/ nite shades in it, built in surround sound with flat screen TVs, 2 bathrooms and a second story or an oven that zapped out muffins faster than you can say Betty Crocker? These ain’t your grandma’s trailers

Well, as I said, I guess I just don’t get. Maybe I need to get a hot cup of coffee at McDonalds and spill it on my lap just to see if it really is hot. Then I can post it on a forum and complain that the coffee cup lid is not strong enough to hold 8oz. of coffee.
Of course, this is all just my opinion

RollingHome

Larry, you said a mouthful my friend ! I'm sure you spoke for many of us ! Kudo's for expressing what we all have felt so well for so long. Man, I hope others read your post and get it... I mean really get it, As I've said many times if you have your health all the rest is BS... THANKS DUDE ! REALLY THANKS ! TOM

robnmo

Interesting post. ALSO VERY TRUE, seems to be the way of the world these days. But you know, we've been hitting the campgrounds alot the last couple months, sure seem to be alot of HAPPY CAMPERS out there........literally. ;) But I do have one really important question. Who manufactured a Whatcamacallit in 78? and was it made in Indiana as well? :D:D

Dave012

Don't hold back Larry! Your posts are always interesting.

The problem with this thread, is that those who could learn from it will either not recognize it applies to their posts, or they won't care.

jnbhobe

Well Said Larry: You Know My thoughts. sometimes I don't even want to read so of this stuff.

imchud

Ummm......... Well its like this.... And then that broke and caused..... Oh just forget it:D

boatdoc

Boy Larry, I hope you came up for air once or twice during that, but I do agree with you. If it's broke FIX the Darn thing and be done with it unless it's spring problems than bi**h like ****.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
I agree.Post your problem but do it in a way that we all can learn from it.

scotty

Larry, you hit the nail on the head.

:mad:
With the degradation of the highways, is it any wonder we’re experiencing frame and spring issues? I’ll not make light of these issues as they can and are serious. However, I suspect none of our rigs or our TV's are really designed to endure these constant conditions.
I know tires issues have been discussed for many years, and yet I still see people constantly pulling at 70+ MPH on tires that are only rated for 65 MPH, and maybe some underinflated. At the weights we towing, speeds we running, coupled with summer heat this creates a receipt for disaster. Even the folks using LT tires (so they can beat the 65MPH issue) are experiencing blow outs.
I truly feel for the folks that have this issue as they're certainly no fun. I can understand the desire to vent, but as you say it doesn't add any value to drive these issues into the ground.
Yes it may well be time the manufactures revisit the suspension issue as well as us on our driving habits. I have my flame suit on, and I also would like to travel at 70, however, I find that I now need to slow down because of the road conditions, which I don’t foresee improving any time soon

porthole

Retired
Good thing we weren't discussing boats here :)

Hundreds of thousand of dollars of hundres of differnt pieces of equipments all put together and then thrown into a hostile environment where many of the parts are not happy being in.

TowBoatUS - BoatUS did about 400 towing cases nationwide this past holiday weekend, the towing company I work with did 40 casesjust in our little area of central New Jersey.

10% of all the cases! And that doesn't inculde the non TowBoatUS tows we did.

You think RV'ers complain - you should hear boaters :cool:

Last edited:

dieselsweetheart

All you have to do is look at this forum and see how many people post positive statements here. Go to the national rally! Last year was our first and I was in awe of how many people showed up! I have had 20 rigs at both my PA rallies...everyone there is happy. It's those one or two people who really slam the forum because they feel the need to vent their angry feelings. It IS a drag to read those posts. Ok, we get it. You're mad. You're mad at who? Heartland? Us? Yourself for buying a Heartland? Go kick a can, and then use the forum for a civil discussion...because you will get more help that way instead of ****ing everyone off with your nasty post. If you had purchased a Gulfstream, or a Jayco, or a Glendale RV....would you feel any better? Would those products be perfect for you? Or would you find issues with them too? I'm betting you are not going to find the perfectly perfect RV out there that suits you.

Now can I b@@t#h about my Volvo?

RoadJunkie

I get a kick out of the dramatic subject lines where company so-and-so doesn't care about: Safety, customer service, how much my rig cost, almost burned my rig down, piece of junk, etc. I am discouraged that we continue to respond and allow momentum to build on these types of threads when it is clear (to me) that the thread is intended to gain attention and (hopefully) gain resolution from the manufacture through group riot. I guess we all gotta blow some occasional steam.

tmcran

Gee, I have learned a great deal from the complaints, concerns and worriers about the many different parts of our RV's. Few examples-frame welds, springs, delamination of bottom of slides, leaks around the slide outs and etc. I agree the "nasty" doesn't help but when ya are frustrated it comes out sometimes. I very much rely on personal reviews of various items I buy or use and appreciate the fact they take time to express them.. One I use a good bit are the reviews of RV parks by folks that have been there and done that. I also appreciate the fact HL has stepped up and helped me with my problems.

ChopperBill

Great post! Yep, we all have had some problem our two but to say the whole trailer is junk because a couple of do-hickys need some attention is a bit much. I have said it before the posts of how great my trailer is don't get much press time and hit the second page in less than a day. Human nature.
PS. the Betty Crocker deal still has me chuckling.
PPS. Our rig has been doing great! (knocking of wood)

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I get a kick out of the dramatic subject lines where company so-and-so doesn't care about: Safety, customer service, how much my rig cost, almost burned my rig down, piece of junk, etc. I am discouraged that we continue to respond and allow momentum to build on these types of threads when it is clear (to me) that the thread is intended to gain attention and (hopefully) gain resolution from the manufacture through group riot. I guess we all gotta blow some occasional steam.

If you are referring the to "Almost went up in flames" thread, I'm the one who posted it, and take exception to being included with the "nasty threads" category.

If you read my post, it was clearly meant to be an informative description of a situation that could have occurred on any make, model of trailer, to give everyone a "heads up" on being vigilant on inspection and maintenance. In all the responses I read, everyone took it as such. There was absolutely no complaining, whining, etc....just information to share with others...

And yes, the title was meant to grab someone's attention...so they would read it and know that what happened to our brake wires, could also happen to theirs, and be proactive instead of reactive to a potentially dangerous situation! :)