Fixed the Ice Maker supply line for good.

2010augusta

After fixing the ice maker line a few times, and returning to find more leaks, I decided to replace and upgrade the entire system.

I bought a 10' and a 1' PVC supply line, a PEX street elbow and a new brass 1/4 valve.

I removed the factory ice maker supply line and shut off valve starting at the "T" behind the basement wall. I then ran a single piece of 1/2" PEX from the factory "T" through the same opening in the floor as the factory poly line, I did have to enlarge the hole, but it was in the expanding foam stuff, so it is easy to push a larger line through. (pic 1)

Once outside the trailer, I used a elbow to make the PEX follow the factory route through a small compartment and then along the frame. (pic 2)

When I was easily within 10' of the refer, I terminated the PEX run with a street elbow that is bolted to the frame. From the elbow I install a new shut of valve, (on the outside of the trailer, it will be nice to be able to shut off the ice maker with out needing to get behind the wall). (pic 3)

The new 10' PVC hose follows the factory route allow the flexy thing that allows the hose and wire to go in and out with the slide,and I even reused the protective loom. (pic 4)

I did have to drill a new hole in the slide, next to the gas line holes, to get the larger line into the slide. (pic 5)

We use a filter in the ice maker, so the 10' line goes to the filter and the 1' line leaves the filter and connects to the solenoid. (pic 6)

In all it cost about $24 but I had all the PEX stuff left over from my UDC makeover.

One additional benefit to the larger supply line, is the water dispenser now works much faster. :D

The last picture shows the mess of ploy line that had to be removed and so if the repairs I had already made. (pic 7)

Attachments

• DSCN6964.JPG
    DSCN6964.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN6966.JPG
    DSCN6966.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN6967.JPG
    DSCN6967.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN6968.JPG
    DSCN6968.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN6969.JPG
    DSCN6969.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCN6971.JPG
    DSCN6971.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN6972.JPG
    DSCN6972.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 75

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Alan, have you had any trouble yet with the tubing that runs from the solenoid up to the fill port? I had loads of problems with that line and even pulled out the reefer twice to work on it. The first time was to replace it and the 2nd was to adjust it at the inlet port. It seemed to me that the heater line within the black sleeve has 2 functions. One, to help keep the line from freezing in cold weather. Two, to warm the water coming in a bit to keep the inlet port open and free of ice. The initial problem was the line at the solenoid end kept getting brittle and leaked. I had trimmed and repaired it so many times I eventually ran out of tube.