long term storage using jack stands

Bighurt

If you use the jack-stands to support the axle ends, so that the suspension is still taking the load, just not the tires you should be fine. To do so you should use a bottle or other hydraulic jack as the landing gear and stabilizers are not intended to lift the unit.

patrick1945

Would it be better to raise the trailer and place most of the weight on supports under the frame rather than the axles?

Bighurt

In all the literature I've read Lippert seams to lean towards lifting the rig by the frame as being a bad idea. Now they aren't stupid and most of the time they avoid lawsuits by eliminating all possibilities rather than a few exceptions. Your RV is only designed to be lifted by the suspension. The rear stabilizers simple stabilize and the front landing gear allow the unit to be leveled as well as getting the TV under the pin box. Neither of them are actually lifting, only offsetting weight distribution, same as you lifting the front of your car, you can move it vertically (small amount) but you aren't lifting it.

It would be considerably more difficult to attempt to support the unit on jack stands alone. One the frame isn't designed with any jack points meaning you could risk damaging the frame. You could increase the amount of jacks to offset the weight, like a mobile home, but then you are increasing the difficulty in getting the unit off its wheels. Also remember that the suspension is loaded right now, if you lift by the frame it will begin to unload, meaning you will have to lift it considerably farther to get the wheels off the ground. Right now, all you need is a 20 ton bottle jack and some 6 ton jack stands, and one inch of vertical movement.

Best of luck

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
In the years we've been RVing, I've never taken the weight off the tires/suspension with the exception of a class C we had that was equipped with HWH levelers. They would raise the whole RV if needed.
That said, We've been in Mor-ryde's shop when they work on the suspensions, they raise the whole rig by the frame using pneumatic bottle jacks place under the frame. 4 jacks, 2 front & 2 rear, a few feet in from the ends. It has to be perfectly level otherwise the rig is very unstable..

If I were to store for the season, I would set the rig the same as when I set up in an RV park. Level with rear stabilizers down. I also use those cheap thin plastic cutting board sheets under my tires.