TV mounts to thin walls

davelinde

I intend to mount my LCD TV's to swing out arms on the walls in the bunk and bedroom. Both those walls (interior) are 1/4" thick with minimal framing behind them. Any suggestions?

For the bunk I was thinking of putting a 3/4" wood reinforcement over the whole thing - screwing it in from the back in the kitchen cabinet. For the bedroom I was thinking I'd carefully slice out access to the back of the wall from the closet (so I could replace it when done) and reinforce the back of that wall (or maybe screw through into a board on the front).

In both cases I'm not convinced that 3/4" is enough... but I'm not sure how much IS enough. I'd hate to have a swing arm pull out of the wall while driving... it would likely break the TV and make a mess of the wall.

Pondering.

wdk450

Dave:
I remember seeing a posting for mounting an LCD TV in the bedroom of a Bighorn using a wood plate and Velcro. I did a search of the forum and found the thread:
//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/7264-Bedroom-TV-Install?highlight=velcro+TV

davelinde

From other forums I'm seeing people use 2x4's for backing. Seems a bit over-kill to me.
I think I found a good bracket to use in the bedroom, and if it works out as I hope, I might be able to mount it where the (thin) interior wall meets the exterior wall - maybe add some 5/8" backer of some kind to help strengthen it. I'll know better after I get the brackets ordered and mock it up.