Got my 28BRS

APT

I picked it up July 1st. Camped one night in driveway, another night at parents (thanks for the 20a service to run the AC!), and 2 nights on the Lake Michigan side of the state. So far so good. DVD player was not wired correctly, but easy fix. Potential water leak under kitchen sink I need to investigate.

A couple early observations:
The 13.5k AC is plenty
Beds are not nearly as uncomfortable as I was expecting, but still plan to add memory foam toppers
Shallow slide is just right
Love the maple cabinets, electric stabilizer jacks, slam latch doors, entry door struts, kitchen counter
Water pump is loud
Want electric jack
Pulls great, stable with the Reese straight line combo
Truck needs shocks and more power for the hills
It's is a little low. I've already scraped a couple business driveways already. May flip axles some day.
Floorplan is better than expected since I had not been in it before ordering. Thought the 2 doors was a waste, but love it for access to toilet, shower (where I threw the cooler), and second entrance when people are sleeping wherever.
Wish the dealer was a little better, but I'll probably never see that one again

Here it is at a rest area loaded up.

30390-apt-albums-camping-14222-picture140352-rest-area-near-grand-haven-mi.jpg

More pictures

Last edited:

irvin56

We have a 2009 31QBS and this is our 3rd season with it.
We really like the unit and if it's anything like ours, you should be very happy with your choose.

enjoy the forum any ask away if you need answers, someone wil jump in to help.

jamthack

We have our new North Trail BRS 2011.. love it!! Wish we had an electric jack, too!! We have used it a lot since we bought it in March of this year...!!

jimtoo

Just bought a new 28BRS TT. We look forward driving 15 hours to pick it up before the winter snow comes!

Hi frigolodl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you do go for the delivery, please do a really good PDI, make sure every thing works and you can work everything. Check it from top to bottom.

Then, go camping and make many happy memories. Enjoy the forum and your new North Trail.

Jim M

jimtoo

Hi Sakool,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

When you do go for the delivery, please do a really good PDI, make sure every thing works and you can work everything. Check it from top to bottom.

Get out the snow blower or big torch and melt the snow. Then, go camping and make many happy memories. Enjoy the forum and your new North Trail.

Jim M

wobly

We picked up our 2011 North Trail 28BRS over a week ago and we got to use it this weekend. Loved it! We even went through a windstorm in Denver last night and it did just fine.

Have I mentioned that we loved it?

Just got back yesterday 1200 mile round trip. Our family of five took our 28BRS on its Maiden Voyage. What a great trailer! Went from Denver to Santa Fe for four days then drove into Andrews Texas to visit some family for an additional four days. The entire trip was a learning experience. We all had fun learning together. Pulled the trailer with a 2007 Ford Expedition. Must say i'm really pleased with how well the Expedition towed. I had to wrestle with the wind to NM, to TX and again back home to CO. The Expedition did well. There were a couple white knuckle moments but that usually happened when I started going a wee bit fast. As long as kept it at 60-65 we did fine. In the hill area i averaged about ten miles per gallon. In the non hilly area I was averaging 13 mpg. By hilly I'm talking about 6% grades or so.

I learned that there are breakers in addition to fuses. I had "popped" a breaker which caused us to sleep with windows open in Texas for two nights. On last day I realized the breaker had flipped. When I flipped the switch back to on the A/C turned on again. Ooops

I learned that if you plug the water source to the "city water" connection on the trailer there is no need for the water pump.

I learned that leveling blocks are a must have.

I like the trailer because it's low to the ground and Areo dynamic. Sway was not an issue. I'd be curious to see how well it tows when there is no wind!

Last edited:

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
It's nice to hear something good about your trailer and everything, all we do it tow ours back and forth to the dealer to get leaks fixed, we haven't even been on a trip yet, we plan on going to the beach for 3 days in a few weeks. Or maybe we can just camp in the RV dealer's lot!

It's nice to hear something good about your trailer and everything, all we do it tow ours back and forth to the dealer to get leaks fixed, we haven't even been on a trip yet, we plan on going to the beach for 3 days in a few weeks. Or maybe we can just camp in the RV dealer's lot!

That stinks Marge I'm sorry. So far it's only been wind for me and have not experienced the rain just yet. I'll keep an eye open for leaks. Where abouts are you seeing the water so that I can keep a look out? I like the blue color on your decals, mine are brown. The beach would be so much fun! We've decided that we're going to stay in Colorado for the next couple of years. Let the kiddos get a bit older (they're 2yr old boy and 8 month yr old girl). Some day I plan to make it to the beach.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
That stinks Marge I'm sorry. So far it's only been wind for me and have not experienced the rain just yet. I'll keep an eye open for leaks. Where abouts are you seeing the water so that I can keep a look out? I like the blue color on your decals, mine are brown. The beach would be so much fun! We've decided that we're going to stay in Colorado for the next couple of years. Let the kiddos get a bit older (they're 2yr old boy and 8 month yr old girl). Some day I plan to make it to the beach.
Check your seals around your front cargo area, inside the door, we had one bad seal, wasn't even the right stuff, and when we had it back in there, there was another North Trail in there that didn't even have anything around the doors in the way of seals. I'm talking the black rubber seals.

The other place, we have it back at the Dealers right now to be fixed..is at the bottom of the slide, a place was not caulked/sealed up properly. Atleast we have a really great repairman who is bending over backwards to get everything fixed up for us.

I have pictures in this thread of the leak at the bottom corner of the slideout, no need to post them again. //heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...r-into-Trailer?p=171918&highlight=#post171918

We can hardly wait to take this thing out on the road, it is just disheartening to get off to such a rocky start.
Camping with such little children must really keep things interesting for you guys. Like I said I am glad you are having such a positive experience, that gives us some hope.

It is just my husband and myself and our little Schnauzer, so our 24 footer seems huge for us.

wobly

Vermont_Blue, it sounds like the same time you went south, we went to Chatfield SP. We survived the windstorm on Saturday night and driving back to Colorado Springs on Sunday with 60MPH crosswinds. Let's just say it was a "lively" drive down I-25. ;)

Glad you made it back to the Springs Wobly. Lively drive no doubt! Ten miles outside of Dalhart TX i was driving 25 mph with my hazards on. Close to zero visibility in a dust storm. Felt like I was on Mars with all the red dirt blowing. Tumble weeds were flying horizontal across the highway and over my hood. Could hear the big ones hitting on the sides of our Expedition and trailer. I wanted to stop but was worried someone might hit us from behind so I kept going slow. I thought for sure the trailer was going to flip over. I'm convinced it didn't because of how low the NorthTrail sits to the ground. Lively drive for us as well.

JeremyN

Just got back yesterday 1200 mile round trip. Our family of five took our 28BRS on its Maiden Voyage. What a great trailer! Went from Denver to Santa Fe for four days then drove into Andrews Texas to visit some family for an additional four days. The entire trip was a learning experience. We all had fun learning together. Pulled the trailer with a 2007 Ford Expedition. Must say i'm really pleased with how well the Expedition towed. I had to wrestle with the wind to NM, to TX and again back home to CO. The Expedition did well. There were a couple white knuckle moments but that usually happened when I started going a wee bit fast. As long as kept it at 60-65 we did fine. In the hill area i averaged about ten miles per gallon. In the non hilly area I was averaging 13 mpg. By hilly I'm talking about 6% grades or so.

I learned that there are breakers in addition to fuses. I had "popped" a breaker which caused us to sleep with windows open in Texas for two nights. On last day I realized the breaker had flipped. When I flipped the switch back to on the A/C turned on again. Ooops

I learned that if you plug the water source to the "city water" connection on the trailer there is no need for the water pump.

I learned that leveling blocks are a must have.

I like the trailer because it's low to the ground and Areo dynamic. Sway was not an issue. I'd be curious to see how well it tows when there is no wind!

Sounds like a great learning experience for you Vermont. I have had the same experiences with mine. It is always fun learning new things on the run! :)