Island Kitchen Barrel Cabinet keeps opening

mrmagoo

We have a 2011 Bighorn 3670... And it has the barrel cabinet at the end of the island kitchen. Every time we travel, the cabnet must come open, because some of the contents are all over the floor... under the slide (ugh)... etc...

Our dealer gave us new latches, which I replaced them... And, I added some Velcro on the top of the cabinet. I thought I had it beat... but when we returned home after our July 4th outing, we once again had cabinet fallout... (granted, we did have some rough roads -- Hey, I live in upstate NY... rough roads are a way of life). We really need to find a way to keep this closed. We keep our spices... s&p shakers... etc in here...

Has anyone else had this issue? or do we just have an unruly cabinet?? Has anyone found a way to resolve this?

ihsolutions

I have the exact same coach and mine has never come open. But, I will say that we don't keep anything in there. I keep forgetting about that cabinet. There's so much storage in this thing!

On another note, I do have a big, deep indentation in my kitchen floor near the fridge from the weight of the slide roller....

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I have an Elk Ridge 34QSRL with the barrel type cabinet and it to kept opening also. I had some warranty work done and told the dealer about it and it was replaced with a differint type of latch. No problems since then

wdk450

I put a small screw in the cabinet about 12 inches from the cabinet handle. Then I attach a mini bungee cord between the cabinet and screw head. We keep canned soft drinks and bottled water in there, so I don't expect the latch to hold that. We mini bungee any cabinet set that can give us problems with the slides.
Maybe the TrailAir centerpoint will also take care of some of these cabinet door problems (whenever I get one).

Wharton

We are concerned about cabinet doors opening up and our not noticing when we open the slides(BH3670). We have put poney tail holders on all the double doors. That would probably be a solution to the barrel cabinet, put in a couple of screws and put on the pony tail holder.

mrmagoo

I'll have to take a look to see about the rollers and the floor... haven't noticed it... but will check more closely next time I am in the rig.

As a precaution , I installed a magnetic cabinet latch on the barrel cabinet and it works perfectly ! I also did the same thing to the drawers that are in the staircase in our 2011 3185RL Big Horn. These latches are inexpensive and readily available at any hardware store. The manufacturer could learn a few things from us girls :)

We have a 2011 Landmark GC with the barrel cabinet which I have loaded to the gills with spices and we've never had a problem with it coming open while traveling. We're fulltimers and the rig gets moved every week/2 weeks so the latch has been tested quite a bit!

mrmagoo

I am definitely jealous!!! ours opens every trip... heck... it would probably open if you brushed up against it when walking past...

I am thinking I may need to talk to someone about this...