GM steps up customer service!

ChopperBill

Just got a letter from GM giving a 7 year, from the date of purchase, and 200,000 mile warranty on "03" fuel injectors in the Dmax. Also in the letter is a form for reimbursement if you replaced any before the letter. I knew the 01 and 02 GM's were covered but this is a new deal. Now if I would just get a letter from Heartland upping my warranty.......... ;)

Wild Wind

Other GM Truck Problems

Check for other GM truck problems and cures on The Diesel Place forum site on the internet.
1) My injectors where replaced about 50,000 miles ago with an extended warranty, but at the time my dealer did not change the fuel filter:mad:, which caused the engine to come to a dead stop with out warning, 2 months later( I would have ever deamed that they would not have changed the fillter during the repair, you can't trust any one!). GM finally has a recall to install a new design filter. Since my first diesel, 15 years ago, I always travel with extra fuel filters. With our Wanderlodges, I have actually changed filters on the road, wright at the diesel pumps, I had very acturate fuel filter guages on the dash of those coaches. Many times I have though about adding a Raycore Fuel fuel filter & guage to my truck (they are also avalible with fuel heaters))
2) A major problem with GM trucks is the constant wearing out of front steering & suspension componets (pitman arms, idler arms, tie rod ends, & upper control arm bushings) I also replaced the front wheel bearings at 80,000 mi , myself (bearing= $500.00 retail or $325.00 whosale). Everytime you change front end componets, you have to get a front end alignment, more$$$$$.
3) Also last Spring on the way back from Florida, my low coolant lite came on. It took me 2 months to find the pin hole leak with a pressure test.
A small 1/2" about 3' long balance cooling hose is hidden and buried at the front of the engine, just above the water pump. Its placement mades you think that the water pump is starting to leak. Anyone getting close to 100,000mi or 3 years old should have this hose replaced.

JoeW4300

It seems to me the tone of the forum has changed. There are more complaints now than previously. Perhaps the "bloom is off the rose" so to speak. Lots of units are now out of warranty (as is mine) so we are on our own. Also, those who were in denial about poor quality and workmanship are now facing the reality of the situation. Things in general are not good.
It seems to me in reading most of the posts from Wildwood that he offers many solutions to the problems we all have faced or will face. Most concerned his BigHorn, some concerned previous RVs he has owned and some concerned tow vehicles. Regardless of personalities, these were factual problems not things he made up or heard about in the campground.
I can't say all my dealing with Heartland have been bad. Dave Partin seems to make an honest effort to resove problems. On the other hand Scott will "yes you to death"and Randy's emails appear to have been composed by a third grader, no make that a second grader.
Heartland makes the same mistakes over and over. Look at the new models and you will see the same sloppy workmanship and construction.
I think now that I have had the BigHorn in the shop for a total of over ten weeks this year and most everything is now as it should have been at time of delivery I can sell this unit in good faith knowing I have not mis-represented a product.
Personally I am grateful to Wildwood and all the others who have attempted to open our eyes to all these shortcomings.
I only wish I could turn back the clock to the day before I bought the BigHorn 3500 RL. I would never do it again.
Perhaps JPM you need to get over it and not take it so personaly.
JoeW

Trap

All I can say is that if I bought a new fiver and it spent 10 weeks in the shop in the first year I don't think my post would be all that nice either. I would be one very wild and livid customer. That kind of stuff is not acceptable whether its the dealer or manufacture's fault.

Trap

L'l John

Well, I can honestly say that I have owned my Bighorn for exactly 4 months, and it has been at my dealers lot for about 7 weeks total already and is still there, this time for 3 weeks. Not much being accomplished either.
Maybe soon it will be back home.

John

jbeletti

Hi all,

I realize that not everyone is happy with their Heartland trailer. Maybe even less happy than with their last trailer. I too have had issues with mine. When appropriate, Heartland has stepped up to make it right. I would have preferred it to have been perfect upon build - but it wasn't. So I deal with it. Many items I take care of myself. Others I do not. I am keeping my unit. Some of you may not be keeping yours. And we understand.

That said, please allow me to reiterate:

The primary intent of this forum is not meant to be a stump for people to rant about their dislike/loathing etc. about their trailer. There are other forums for that and I encourage their use.

Among other areas of interest, we do want to hear what people like, dislike, repaired, modified etc. And to a small degree, people are allowed to vent a bit. It's when that vent turns into a perpetual rant, it's time to take it elsewhere as at that point it no longer fits here.

I am pointing no fingers in this post. Those who are on the stump on this forum, on a continuous rant know who they are.

All I ask is to please recognize when you've just typed a post that is in fact a rant - one you've ranted about in the past even. Don't click submit - copy the post to your clipboard, start a post on any of various other forums where rants are allowed/encouraged/relished and paste your post and submit there.

Thank you for your consideration of everyone else here.

Jim

elwaller39

Evans & Lana
Thanks Jim for informing everyone of this rant issue!! I have gotten rather upset with people who do not know what they are saying and all ways saying bad things about Heartland coaches. I know I have had issues on my coach but have gotten these issue resovled by either Heartland or by my dealer. It is well to know issues that all of us should be awere of but all ways saying Heartland does not know what they are doing is just not true!! Heartland has a great product and that came from some well educated people and some very well meaning people all so. Heartland can and will improve but, Keep Up the GOOD WORk Heatland emploies!! Evans & Lana

Cheryl

I agree. We are having some problems right now. But, if the factory "steps up" like they always have, I'll still be very happy with my Golden Gate. Nothing is perfect in life. You can only hope that when you do have problems, customer service will resolve them. Up til now, Heartland's customer service has been better than anyone I have ever dealt with. Hopefully I can still say that after our problems are fixed.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Back to the original post by Bill, The new ULSD fuel that is being sold or will be sold in your area appears to be causing a issue with clean fuel. Many say that the new fuel is washing the old fuel stations underground tanks and dirt and junk is being pumped into our fuel tank with every fill up! Injectors, lift pumps, etc. have been failing. I have installed as Wild wind stated an addition 2 micron fuel filter to help avoid problems. If there is addition warranty available for the fuel system, now is the time to get it. The next few years for diesels is going to be rough and tough do to this change mandated by the feds.

ChopperBill

I am tickled pink about the additional warranty! I bought the extended drive train warranty on my Allison so I would be covered the same as the engine. Those who know me know I hate extended warranties but the salesman at the time of purchase made a sales tax mistake on our order and I just said take the extra off the sales tax an put it on the extended warranty. Now I am pretty much covered on this truck. GM had the filter re-do and that new 2 micron filter plugged up in less than 10,000 miles. Lots of crappy fuel out there so I am going to start carrying a filter in the truck. Working part time for a farm equipment dealer I get pretty good filter prices. Not about to get ripped off on the side of the road.

kognito

I think everyone should keep and extra filter, pair of gloves, and an empty can of coffee w/lid in their trucks for the next 12-18 months. I didn't loose too much MPG (been using new fuel for about 2 months here in NJ) I too think tank washdown will be the biggest problem in the next year or two

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Well, while we are speaking about fuel, I have noticed a rough idle at times and what seems to be like a balking while under load. the balk will happen once and than be fine for a time. Can any of you diesel guys out there give me any ideas. My dealer says that he can not find any problem and the computer has set no codes. I have the Duramax, and change the fuel filter every ten thousand miles, at present I have 54 thousand miles on the truck, most of them pulling my fiver.

ct0218

Try posting the question at the Dieselplace (GM forum). Lots of viewers there, someone may have the answer. Do a search first, it has probably been asked.

nhunter

I would like to know what low sulphur diesel has to do with washing of tanks? Shouldn't the fuel be of the same make up just without the sulphur?:confused:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The ULSD diesel has only 15 ppm or less of sulfur. Under very high pressure the sulphur acts as a lubricant. So since the lubricant is not present, the fuel suppliers add a lubricant additive. I have heard that the additives are the cause of the washing effect. Also, the cetane number is lower. Not a good thing :mad:

jpmorgan37

dieselengineer;

When we were up north this summer, I was using biodiesel and was getting better performance and much better fuel economy. I haven't found it in Texas but was wondering how the ULSD was going to affect the biodiesel and if it was going to lower the cetane number. I haven't been able to find any clarifying reports on it.

John

dieselengineer

Charter Member
The operator's manual for my TV only allows up to b5 (5 percent) Biodiesel. This is a very low percentage, so it appears that b5 biodiesel will not have much effect on ULSD. Also, the specific heat value for biodiesel is lower then #2, less energy!

jpmorgan37

:confused:Hmmmm. lower specific heat--less energy. Must have been my imagination on the improved performance. Fuel economy though was definately better. Measured over 1100 miles. Thanks for the info.

John

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
fireflipper

Thanks, I will look at the page you suggested. The washing of tanks refers to the fact that they have been selling the ultra low diesel for about three months. They were doing this to make sure that when the pumps were relabeled stating the ultra low that the tanks did not have any low sulfar left in them.

ct0218

I have been looking into BD, and a came across a statement from the National Biodiesel Board, dtd Nov 30, 2005: D2 averages 130,500 btu per gallon, and B100 averages 126,000 btu. So, in B5 to B20, the reduction in power would be negligible. Also in that report was the statement that D2 btu's can vary as much as 15% because of addivitives, etc., at the distribution level and summer/winter blends. I suppose that means those advertising "premium" diesel and a higher cetane rating would affect the mileage more than BD would. The ultimate then would be BD with a premium diesel base.