Toliet Seal

srae

We purchased the 2011 Big Country 3250ts in May. The seal in the toliet bowl is not holding water. I'll fill the bowl and it drys out in a matter of hours. What can be done to correct this? Thanks.

Tom

Rrloren

Had same problem with my Sundance last year. After making sure the seal area is clean try opening the valve and pressing the rubber down all the way around. Thats what I was told to do by Factory and it worked. Had to do it once or twice more since last year but water has been in the bowl over a month now. Hope this helps.

loafer

Hey Tom
Is there water around the base of the toilet especially after you travel for some distance?
If so you need a new seal between the toilet and the base simil;ar to a house toilet . the seal sometimes dries out that the factory has in there . You can replaces with a new seal or i was told that you can buy an ordinary wax seal for a regular toilet and cut it in half so its not so thick and will compress and seal.
My .02 cents worth
bill

DougAndJudy

Call Sealand (Dometic) and tell them the model. We have a model 310 that had the same problem. We called them and they sent us a new seal right away.

fhollan

As you can see on my signature, my unit is four years old. So far it's been a good one. This year I had a couple of problems with the toilet. First the bowl itself wouldn't hold water, Then water started coming out from the base. Found both seals worn. Dometic sent me the seals and both are working fine. If water still leaks at the base or from between the bowl and the base, just make sure everything is tight. I had that problem after replacing the seals. It was a matter that it wasn't tight enough.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
There was an article in either Trailer Life or Highways magazine about this issue. They said to spray the seal with lemon pledge and it should fix the problem. BTW clean it first.

My back toilet was doing the same thing. The dealer tried to fix it and did not have the gasket at the time and just turned it and it still leaked. they ordered and gave me the replacement gaskets for it and I installed it in about 30 minutes and it is good to go. If you take your bowl off and it has a whilte plastic spacer with a rubber floppy seal in the middle then that is the old style that Sealand does not use anymore. They have upgraded to a new seal system. It's about $35 bucks and easy to install and you will have no more issues with that.

Good luck.

B

bwwalczak

It sounds like several solutions have been given here on the forum. Many of these could work. Thank you for your post, I hope that the answers provided above will help.

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Since this thread has been answered by the Factory, it has been moved to Big Country Plumbing area.

Jellystone

Ironically, our toilet seal just started to let water drain out of the bowl and leaving it dry in a matter of 5 minutes. After reading this thread a couple of days ago, I knew what to try first. I put on a disposable rubber glove and pushed down all over the rubber ring with the flush ball open. It worked! The bowl is holding water again. Heartland Forum members to the " rescue"-THANKS all for your posts and to the OP for starting the thread.

SmokeyBare

If all else fails and water keeps leaking. Here is a link that might help understand how to install a new toilet seal.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/11582-Water-leaking-from-Toilet-Bowl

Silicone Spray from Wally World solved my leak down problem. Turned off water, removed 2 screws and Took the water valve loose (no need to disconnect water lines), pulled the spring assembly out, sprayed the control rod for the ball valve, sprayed the spring pack (do not dis-assemble spring pack it is a PITA to get back together), aligned ball valve closed so spring pack slides back in easily, re-assembled everything. Sprayed apple amount of silicone spray top of ball valve and rubber seal, let it set for a couple minutes then operated foot control a few times to distribute the silicone spray on the ball valve and seal. Turned water back on and has held water for several days now.

I had to come back and give an update.... My toilet started leaking again and this time I couldnt stop the leak. I contacted SeaLand/Dometic by email and they responded back asking me to give them a call. After talking to them on the phone they shipped me a new improved seal assembly to where I was camping in Upstate New York at no cost to me. I installed the new assembly and so far (3wks now) the toilet is still holding water. The improved seal was made out of different materials than the original.
I was very impressed with Sealand/Dometic willingness to help resolve my problem quickly. KUDO's to Sealand/Dometic.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I had the improved seal installed in my toilet on 2/17/10 also and it is leaking again. A mobil repair guy in Dallas told me that the Dometic will always leak. He liked the Thedford. It was plastic but it kept working well. I may change mine out to a taller and one of the oval seating type.

BC

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
So far, the only time mine has not held water was when a bit of TP got trapped by the ball. Might consider using a toilet brush around the seal on a semi-regular basis while flushing to make sure nothing is stuck under it. Maybe too much fiber in the diet is the culprit :D

DougS

Doug S
Open the valve, press down the rubber all around, then pour 2 quarts of hot water and let it cool.

In my info package there was a slip of paper with these instructions. I did exactly as the instructions said, using hot tap water, and it worked for the remaining 4 weeks of the trip. Just make sure it is tap water, I would not use any hotter water.