Hitch weights

Mouse

Per Heartland specifications, are the hitch weights advertised on the spec sheet the dry pin weight or the maximum? If the max, what is the dry?

i.e. for the 3300 QS (guess which model I am a proud owner of), the spec sheet has a max gross weight of 13965 and a hitch weight of 1965. I would think this would be the max - 13965 less 12000 for the axles = 1965. To quote Homer, "Duh". So what's the empty hitch weight?

Fore and aft loading is critical. The the positioning of the slides relative to the hitch and axles would have a direct bearing on the hitch weigh and may be the factor that accounts for the hitch weight delta amongst the different models. If that quoted is the max, you need to know the dry hitch weight along with the dry weight on the sticker in order to safely load the vehicle.

I'm not spliting hairs here. Obviously, I need to weigh my trailer - I have weighed my truck. But from a risk management perspective, heartland should do this at the factory when they weight the rig for the dry weight. Additionally, heartland should provide a means to accurately calcualte hitch weight, really ensure that the vehicles are within CG, so that owners don't inadvertantly overload their tow vehicles or load in way that creates an unsafe condition.

Thanks,

Mike

lwmcguir

My experience and most of the other post on the forums would indicate the advertised pin weights are empty. The max is going to be a combination of weights including what you have for a TV. You want the front to be heavy compared to the rear of the coach but you don't want to bend the frame either. Most all of us are surprised at how fast the pin weight increases with loading equipment, generators, tools, food and so on in the coach. The legal maximum is going to be determined by what TV you have. If you have singles then you are going to be limited quickly by your rear axle and tires.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mike, like lwmcguir said, your pin weight is limited to what your truck can handle.
The listed pin weight of 1,965 is the dry (empty) weight. There is no way to calculate what it will be after loading your stuff. You will only know what that weight will be when you weigh it.
One number you omitted is the dry weight of the coach. It is 10,759#. That means that based on the 13,965 GVWR, you will be able to load 3,206# of personal gear, LP, water, etc. How you distribute it will determine the pin weight.