Traveling north from San Diego to Washington State

CRLYHDS

Looking for some advice on how to avoid LA freeways going north from Southern California. We are planning a trip from San Diego to Washington State. My husband wants to avoid 405 and 5 freeways until we are past LA. Has anyone used 15 north and then Route 138 to get to 5 north around Stockton? Thanks in advance for any advice.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

DennisZ

Hannah
We live in Lancaster, so that is a route we use all the time. It won't be much longer for you to go up either 15 or 215 to the 138, or you can go a little furthe up 15 to Palmdale Road, you will have a climb either way, I think the climb going to Palmdale Road is a shorter climb, but the distance traveled to get to the common intersection for both routes is about 15 or 20 miles further.

Once you get to the 14 freeway, you have 2 choices to get to the 5, you can either take 138 west just past Lancaster, or take 14 thru Mojave to the 58 thru Tehachapi to the 99. If you want to take the 5 up all the way (it's a smoother road), the best choice would be to take Hwy 138 to the 5.

Hope this hepls you. BTW where in Washington are you heading, we just got back about 6 weeks ago.

Dennis

CRLYHDS

Thanks so much. It looks like we have a new route planned to get north. Our niece and her family live in Oak Harbor and we have been invited to his Navy retirement party. We aren't sure how long it will take us to get there, it's our first long RV road trip.

DennisZ

Hannah

It is either 3 good travel days or 4 real easy days. I prefer to do the 4 days when I have the time, but I have also done it in 3.

Dennis