Hydraullic Landing Gear

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
Has anyone experienced a failure with the hydrallic landing gear? Is it possible to manually actuate the gear if the hydrallic fails to work? Any other comments on the hydrallic landing gear would be welcome.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
IN the end of the drive unit is a seal, if you remove that you can insert an allen wrench with your drive and make it work. You will find the opening (it is in this location in our Landmark) inside the off door side of the storage area, shopuld be a hole and or an access panel.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
That is where it is in our Landmark too. It is shown in our owners manual. Check yours it is probably in there too.

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
If there is hydrallic leak, what happens? Anyone aware of failures occurring? I would guess an powerful electric drill would come in handy here.

ChopperBill

Not so sure about a leak. I would think that there would be check valve in the system so it wouldn't come crashing to the ground, but I haven't looked or seen one.

jmgratz

I had a hydraulic leak and ran out of fluid while on the front jacks. Nothing happened until I tried to raise the jacks to hook up. Then I got nothing. I refilled the reservoir and it worked fine. I now carry Motorcraft ATF (the type it is supposed to use) just in case. In my previous event I had to borrow some from another RVer who was kind enough to help.

I had a hydraulic leak and ran out of fluid while on the front jacks. Nothing happened until I tried to raise the jacks to hook up. Then I got nothing. I refilled the reservoir and it worked fine. I now carry Motorcraft ATF (the type it is supposed to use) just in case. In my previous event I had to borrow some from another RVer who was kind enough to help.

Jim is correct, any ATF will work if you are in a bind. Full synthetic is recommended so I use Mercon V, same as the Ford Transmissions take.

jmgratz

Jim is correct, any ATF will work if you are in a bind. Full synthetic is recommended so I use Mercon V, same as the Ford Transmissions take.

I should have said that is what I carry now. 5 quarts of Mercon V. Just to be safe.

Northern Virginia

What happened? Why did the fluid leak out and what did you have to do to fix it?

John

jmgratz

What happened? Why did the fluid leak out and what did you have to do to fix it?

John

The hydraulic hose in the bedroom under the bed sprang a leak. It was a pin hole leak in the weld just below where the hose attached to the piston. Lippert sent us a new hose and reimbursed us for the labor I paid to get it put on. They told me if I put it on myself it would void the warranty and they would pay 3/4 hour labor to put it on. I went to an independent RV repair shop and they put it on for 3/4 hour labor $75. Then Lippert reimbursed us.

Northern Virginia
I see Hawaii colored in on your map. Have you camped there? Believe it or not, I have actually been to a campground on the North shore of Oahu. I didn't camp but wanted to check it out. Lots of tents but hardly any RV's (go figure)

John

jmgratz

I see Hawaii colored in on your map. Have you camped there? Believe it or not, I have actually been to a campground on the North shore of Oahu. I didn't camp but wanted to check it out. Lots of tents but hardly any RV's (go figure)

John

Didn't camp there but have been there when our son was stationed there in the Army. Spent 2 weeks there with him and explored all over Ohau. Saw several campgrounds but didn't camp. The states on my map are states we have been to. Didn't have Japan, Mexico, Granada, Dominica, Puerto Rico, St. Thomas but have been there. (just not with the RV - but have tent camped on the beach in Japan)