5th wheel lube plate

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
While I've never worn one out in the four years we've been full time, I've lost a couple because of my own neglect. They seem to fall off the pin when I unhook. When this happens, I forget to retrieve it and nature takes over and it blows out of the bed when I travel. I guess my mind isn't where it needs to be at times. If I could keep one long enough, I would replace it when it git thin enough to wear through. I would also try to keep it free of paint worn off of the hitch and debris to make it last longer. I've heard they can be attached with a countersunk screw but haven't seen that in person yet.

Dragoon

We're in our 11th year of full-time and on our 2nd rig (Bighorn) and have the original lube disc with no sign of wearing through. Safe travels...

hoefler

Here is a trick I have used to make the disc stay on on mine and a few others. In the center of the disc, there is fingers that are suppose to keep it on the pin. Take a hammer and disc to somthing hard and strike several of these fingers to smash them slightly towards the center. This will decrease the inside diameter enough to make it a tight fit on the pin again. I always mash 4 fingers, one a quarter way around from each other. Works every time.

robnmo

Thanks, ours is falling off so didn't know if that meant it's worn out or not, thanks for the insight, guess our disc and ballpeen have a date this evening.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Here is a trick I have used to make the disc stay on on mine and a few others. In the center of the disc, there is fingers that are suppose to keep it on the pin. Take a hammer and disc to somthing hard and strike several of these fingers to smash them slightly towards the center. This will decrease the inside diameter enough to make it a tight fit on the pin again. I always mash 4 fingers, one a quarter way around from each other. Works every time.
That's a great idea. I just put a new one on last night. I'll remember that tip when it loosens up. Thanks!