Lock for Fifth Wheeler

gawelsh

Our new Landmark Mt Rushmore is at the dealer in Virginia, waiting for us to pick it up this coming Thursday - we're so excited !! We think we should buy a lock for the king pin, since we'll be storing the RV at a secured storage lot - secured, but people can obviously access it . What type of lock should we get - we want peace of mind for our new baby !!

sailorand

Past British Columbia Chapter Leader
I use a piece of 1/4" chain cut lenght needed to go around king pin and then put a padlock thru it. This is tight and for me works. Locks only keep the honest person honest. The crook will break any kind of lock if they want what you have
Rand

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
gawelsh said:
Our new Landmark Mt Rushmore is at the dealer in Virginia, waiting for us to pick it up this coming Thursday - we're so excited !! We think we should buy a lock for the king pin, since we'll be storing the RV at a secured storage lot - secured, but people can obviously access it . What type of lock should we get - we want peace of mind for our new baby !!
Congrats. on your new Mt Rushmore. We have an 2005 Mt Rushmore and we love it.:D

fireflipper

EX-Travel Bug
Fireflipper

Most dealers or Camping World sells a fiver lock. It is a peice of hardened steel that goes around the king pin, than a padlock goea through a slot and back out to lock the piece in place. It is about 15 bucks, at least that is what mine cost at the dealer.

BluegrassMan

Hi All:
I have a tri-pod for my trailer. You can take the top part off of the tri-pod, put it over the king pin insert the bar and lock it in place. Nobody can get to it. I keep the GC locked in the garage.

Tom of Ypsi

Congratulations on the Mt Rushmore, nice model. We have one and like it, no island, never seen one with an island. We have a lock similar to what John has shown you but it does not need a padlock, the lock is built in to the unit. I picked this up at Camping World for around $25 four or five years ago.

nhunter

We have one that is a 1/2" thick U with a 5/8" drawbar pin style pin and a lock that slides onto that. I know locks keep honest thieves out but padlocks are way to easy to break.

davebennington

Another idea

gawelsh,

When we were at the East coast Rally someone had a suggestion about how to secure the trailer. He dropped the nose as far as possible and then turned off the battery that way someone could not just back under and drive off. Yes I know they could break into the battery box area and turn them back on but this will slow down the effort somewhat.

Dave:)

gawelsh

THanks, All !

Thank you for all the advice - George went shopping today and bought a
lock by Draw Tite (sp?) - at least that's what he THINKS he ordered !!
Good grief.

We're to be in Thornburg VA by 8:30 Thursday morning (we only have to leave by 4:30 a.m. - where's the coffee ? ) to pick up the Mt Rushmore. Actually, we'll be so excited, the adrenaline will keep us awake !

dieselengineer

Charter Member
I use the War Lock. This is a king pin lock the big 18 wheelers use (the pin size is the same on the big truck trailers and the fifth wheel campers) The lock is built in and is not able to be cut off like the other pad lock types. Also, the bottom is design so there is not a vertical surface to connect to and pull. I will try to attach a photo. See below

war-lok-t-series-king-pin-lock-tkp-10.jpg

J

Jim_1899

king pin lock

I went online to look to purchase the king pin lock and there are alot of different types of locks to choose from. Do you have an item number and the name of a good place to purchase the lock.

phranc

Might just try your local truck stop.. As Dieselengineer said .. same size as used on an 18 wheeler..

J

Jim_1899

Lock Ordered

Thanks, I just ordered the lock with an extra key.

J

Jim_1899

I have been using the lock device and feel much better knowing that it will be difficult to steel my Heartland RV. I just found about a device that can track stolen vehicles, RV, or equipment. Here's a link that I thought was amazing.

http://www.lojack.com/