Dometic 14 cu. ft. 4 door

hogan

Past Mississippi Chapter Leader (Founding)
We are trying to spec. out a new Big Horn and like the four door fridge, but have heard some comments that it won't cool enough in the hot weather. Reported to have same cooling unit as the 9 cf unit. Any comments pro or con on this great looking new product.

Northern Virginia
I have the 14cf fridge and it cools good now in hot weather but I had to do a few mods to it to help it out. We usually camp with 5-6 people so we really need the large fridge. We love it.

John

RoadJunkie

We have the 9'er and during the latest heat wave, 100ish temps, we are holding between 40 and 43 depending on how often the door is opened. This is on setting 4 out of 5 and with no modifications. RV is facing with the cap to the South and with some tree cover, but fridge is exposed to the morning sun. In my opinion, the key is how often the door is open because if we leave for the day, and arrive back late, the unit is sitting at 40 degrees. Both the wife and myself are content with the amount of storage in the 9'er. Good luck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
In the RV refrigeration course I took we were told it takes 1 hour for the fridge to recover from opening the door.

Northern Virginia
had to do a few mods

what were your mods?
The sides of the fridge were insulated but for some reason the top was not (and we all know heat rises). I insulated the top and made a baffle to try to create the best air flow across the cooling fins. I also jumped the cooling fans so they were always on. For some reason, mine didn't want to kick on all the time. Right now, it is about 90 outside and the fridge reads 33 degrees.

Also, we have made the mistake of putting too much stuff either in the door shelves or we have stuff too close to the shelving front. Sometimes the door looks as if it's closed but the magnetic seals cannot seal because something inside the fridge gives a little push back. We are now careful to ensure the door is not only closed but the seals are tight. That has made the biggest difference for keeping it cool.

John

ATLJOHN

We also havre the 14 cu ft refer and always stays cool. It usually is around 33-34 and only get warmer 42-45 when you keep openning the all the doors to look for something. We keep the refer on even parked in our driveway with all slides in and stays constant at 32-33 even in the hot Atlanta temps.

So i would go for the larger refer. We did and it has turned out great for us. Good luck with you new rig.
John

tenglish

We have the 14cf fridge in the Bighorn 3610 and even in 100 degree weather, it cools just fine. Only issue is the ice maker made great ice the first day but then quit. Not sure if it was because I hooked up to city water versus the first day was just with the internal pump. I'm guessing it might have something to do with the pressure of the pump??
Tom

sdagro

Had all those mods made to my 14 CF fridge in my 2011 3670. Dealer said it has been holding at 33-35 for 3 days in Louisiana heat. Picked it up yesterday and unit was off!!. Kinda *****@ me off. Got it home and can't get it drop. Documented 10 hrs. Started at 49 when I turned it on. Went up to 55 now is at 54. Only thing I can figure is possibly voltage difference. Unplugged fridge and checked plug for voltage and meter read 109.6v. Checked a few others around house and it read 1110-113. Also running 50A cord to 30/15A adapter. Could these things be affecting cooling capabilities? Been having RV since 4/22 and been in shop nearly half the time. I love the BH but my patience and nerves are running thin. Some advice PLEASE. Steve A. Dagro

tenglish

John, I had a pressure regulator on the city water inlet resulting in about 30 - 35 lbs to the trailer. I didn't notice much difference between the faucet pressure with the internal pump versus city water pressure so not sure this is the source of the problem of not making ice in the ice maker. It is the only thing I can think of that was different or that I changed. Heading out again for a weekend the end of the month so I'll experiment as we won't have a city water connection.
Tom

lwmcguir

We have the large fridge and it works well. Takes a while to cool down on 120V if you leave the doors open very much. The cooling unit (boiler) is a bit small for that large of a fridge. Awning cover helps and try to park it so the afternoon son doesn't hit it. Lower the AC to 72 or so helps as well to cool down. If you are only in the 50's though it must be a bigger issue.

Northern Virginia
Had all those mods made to my 14 CF fridge in my 2011 3670. Dealer said it has been holding at 33-35 for 3 days in Louisiana heat. Picked it up yesterday and unit was off!!. Kinda *****@ me off. Got it home and can't get it drop. Documented 10 hrs. Started at 49 when I turned it on. Went up to 55 now is at 54. Only thing I can figure is possibly voltage difference. Unplugged fridge and checked plug for voltage and meter read 109.6v. Checked a few others around house and it read 1110-113. Also running 50A cord to 30/15A adapter. Could these things be affecting cooling capabilities? Been having RV since 4/22 and been in shop nearly half the time. I love the BH but my patience and nerves are running thin. Some advice PLEASE. Steve A. Dagro

After it's warm, my fridge takes about 24 hours to get temps in the 30's when it's empty, longer if we put stuff in it. I'd give it some more time.

John

ChopperBill

Just thought I would ask if everyone's fans make that whining noise when they kick on. Ours are kind of loud but at least I know they are working.